Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been merrily driving my 159 (of 3 weeks) in this recent snow then today the thaw (maybe temporary:cheese:) starts. So put the wipers on intermitant. I should say that this lusso has the rain sensor system with some form of variable control in the intermittant first position.

Anyway these things have a total mind of their own. wipe - pause - wipe faster - wipe slow - wipe - pause - stop - start - fast - slow - crazy. Tried all the positions that the "knurled wheel" on the stalk allows and can't work out whether the variability is supposed to be the amount of non wiping or the sensitivity of rain or what.

Pleas anyone know how they should work? PS I can't sus this out from the manual at all (owners manual page 73).

Oh and are the crazy angels wiper arms standard - mine are in the shape of an extended N ! I'll browse some pictures on the interweb.

any suggstions

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
if the wiper blades are leaving a film of water on the windscreen then this will be the cause of your issues... a new set of blades should help.

Ive somewhere that the adjuster on the wiper stalk is for sensitivity... with the bottom being least sensitive and top being the most. i find one notch up from least sensitivty the best place to be with a new set of blades.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ahaa mine do that and I thought it was thing called character or quirkiness that Alfa's are noted for having. Seems it's just electronics then

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
I was under impression the knurled selector is not for sensitivity it's for adjusting the pause between wipes upto being slight pause less than full repeat wipe ( next selection of stalk downwards)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the response all, I thought it might be sensitivity as if it were a delay only mechanism then the rain sensor would be redundant. Guess there is an element of that quirky italian electronics in there as well!

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
mine go mad if going downhill!! get all fast and erratic then when on flat or uphill back to normal!!! gotta love the Italian way of building cars!:cheese:

·
Registered
970 Posts
most cars with sensors i've driven do that... I've concluded the sensor detects the rain drops left on the screen where the wipers couldn't go and that messes with it...
There is a sensitivity regulator as far as I know..try adjusting it..

·
Registered
11,159 Posts
actually quite like it ! gives car caracter better than an everything works perfectly everytime bland mobile!

·
Registered
378 Posts
I view the auto wipers as an automatic intermittant setting, they make more sense then! When the rain turns into steady heavy rain I switch over to the constant on setting.

·
Registered
56 Posts
if the wiper blades are leaving a film of water on the windscreen then this will be the cause of your issues... a new set of blades should help.
Yep defo - also, I found that applying Rainex to the windscreen eliminates any tendency to smear/film over, causing the rain to collect into lots of bubbles that work their way up the screen with the airflow. The sensor also reponds more logically and more accurately to bubbles rather than smears, so no more "quick, quick, slow" frantic stuff!

Also, I found on both my 159s that the driver's wiper is prone to shuddering. Sometimes caused by poor alignment of the wiper mechanism in relation to the screen, it is not helped by the fact that wipers park at the end of the downward stroke rather than at the beginning of the upward one, causing the blade to "sit" (and take on a set) heading in the "wrong direction" for the next upward stroke. It has to flip over, in other words, which is OK when they're new and it's hot - not so good when the rubber is cold! Applying Rainex has made the screen more slippy, allowing the blades to "flip n glide" as if greased! No more shuddering. No more horrid noises! :thumbs: ;) :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts