Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm up for renewal on my vodacom contract, and I've been burning up a lot more data in the last 8 or so months. Using around 4gb / month on mobile data. So I'm considering this CellC Epic thing.

I've heard the /min billing rates are pretty steep on these epic contracts, which isint a factor if you take the uncapped option which will be R1500/month with a phone. But the next step down is R1000 "Value" and you can convert as much of that R1000 to data as you like as and when needed... That would cost me about R1250/month with a phone...

Anyone done the deed and worked out if it was worth it?
Both of those Epic deals (Infinity and 1000) come with R10 000 on a gift card provided you hand in your old phone. And I have a malfunctioning iPhone 5 to hand in....

·
Registered
256 Posts
I moved from voda**** to cellc a long time ago. Best move ever, better signal too.

I used to always get my parents to phone me from overseas when I had voda****. Since moving to CellC. Making international phone calls, specially thailand, costs me less than phoning a local cellphone. To put in perspective. R10 airtime, and after 14 minutes of speaking, I was notified of my last minute to speak. To Thailand!

However, I found using an old device (or actually new in my case), and get a 4gb 3g data account with afrihost for R200, have your phone on cellc on topup, with a daily 20mb recurring which costs r2.80 a day.

All in all, my total bill for internet + phone calls is 450. I load R250 airtime, and I have setup recurring data topup on my phone. I use r84 a month on data outside of my home. And on wifi at home. Plus with a 4g capable device, the wifi at home is blistering fast!

PS: You get up to 10k, you might not get the full 10k

·
Registered
262 Posts
I think if you're going for the top contracts they'll give you the R10k. I think this article outlines the ratchet levels.

How Cell C?s R10,000 Buy-Out works

Personally I've been on Telkom Mobile for 4 years. Never had an issue. Great value deals. Massively quick LTE and 3G. Signal is perfect in major centres, then roams on MTN if I'm in the sticks (which probably means I'm driving so I don't care what network I'm piggy backing on because the GTA is keeping me focused on other things).

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Personally I've been on Telkom Mobile for 4 years. Never had an issue. Great value deals. Massively quick LTE and 3G. Signal is perfect in major centres, then roams on MTN if I'm in the sticks (which probably means I'm driving so I don't care what network I'm piggy backing on because the GTA is keeping me focused on other things).
I can second the Telkom Mobile endorsement. Been using them (among others) for years now and they have not given me any significant problems - certainly not more problems than any of the others do.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
My services are with vodacom and MTN( switched because i use to work for MTN)
Im switching all my contracts back to Vodacom.
Never had issues with them, i have a data sim with vodacom.

WRT cell c buy out option their tariffs are much higher.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I moved from voda**** to cellc a long time ago. Best move ever, better signal too.
However, I found using an old device (or actually new in my case), and get a 4gb 3g data account with afrihost for R200, have your phone on cellc on topup, with a daily 20mb recurring which costs r2.80 a day.

All in all, my total bill for internet + phone calls is 450. I load R250 airtime, and I have setup recurring data topup on my phone. I use r84 a month on data outside of my home. And on wifi at home. Plus with a 4g capable device, the wifi at home is blistering fast!

PS: You get up to 10k, you might not get the full 10k
I burn data at work and out & about actually. Stream audio in the car etc. I have uncapped wifi at home...

They said i'd get the full R10k, went into the shop and got a quote.

Apparently the Infinity is actually capped, but at 44,000 minutes/month or something silly so for all intents and purposed its uncapped.

I supposed the question is how bad are the call rates if i take the R1000 option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts