Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I become an Alfa owner for the first time tomorrow - picking up a very nicely specced GT JTD on an 06 plate.

I love the look and drive of the car, but having owned a number of quite powerful cars in recent years I suspect I will find the performance of the GT somewhat lacklustre.

I have already had a positive experience with a remap of my current outgoing Golf V5 which took power from 170bhp to circa 190bhp, even though it is an NA petrol. Whilst the difference is quite subtle, it is noticeable.

I understand diesel engines respond much better to remapping so would like to go down this route with my Alfa. However, the dealership are providing a 12 month warranty and so the only map available that will not invalidate the warranty is the Auto Delta one which lifts power to 170bhp.

Does anyone have experience with this map?

Alfa quote a 0-60 time of 8.2 secs for their 170 bhp Cloverleaf which is essentially just a remapped version of the standard GT JTD. That seems impressive against the 0-60 time of 9.6 for the standard GT JTD. 170bhp doesn't sound like much to me though - I would prefer to coax another 10 - 15bhp out of it if possible as at a price of £400 the Auto Delta map isn't cheap.

Also, I called my insurer (Admiral) to check whether they will cover a remap. The clueless drone on the end of the line didn't know what I was talking about and after a long wait on hold while she checked, she returned and told me they do not cover remaps at all.

I was quite surprised by this as remapping is so common now.

What experience do you guys have with remapping GT JTDs?

Any input would be appreciated!:thumbs:

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
I'm running Autodelta box on my 159 2.4 and am impressed. :)
Always used to have remaps before but for various reasons preferred the Autodelta setup supplied and fitted by my Alfa garage.
Works really well and power is up around 245-250 bhp levels.
If I want to remove it, then it takes literally a minute. Easy as. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THanks for the input - sounds encouraging.

Just had a chat with Janno at Auto Delta who recommended a box over a remap.

Will speak to the dealer about this tomorrow when i pick up the car.

·
Registered
766 Posts

170 Bhp?? Must be a Phase 1 Remap from Autodelta

When I enquired about remaps from Autodelta, there are 3 for each of the Multijet Engines.

My standard output on my 2.4 Mjet was 175Bhp, now on a Phase 2 Autodelta setup giving 225 Bhp, I could not risk a phase 3 ( 250Bhp ), hence driveshafts and CV joints and not to say the GM box are the weak points on a 156, which shares the same chassis with your GT.

You should be able to get at least 200Bhp from Autodelta for a 1.9 Mjet 16v!!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

A box over a remap??? really??? the thing about boxes (if i'm right) is that they are a standard box for a particular engine, if you want a proper amount of power best bet would be to get a custom remap done, you should easily get close to 200 bhp ... more if you put other mods on (getting the most out of mods the only way is a custom map) ...

Personally I'd recommend Adie and AHMotorsports for everything Alfa or Gus at Alfa Tune (both members on here), quite a few people on here (me included) have had remaps from them and everyone seems to be very happy ..

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
I chose the box over a remap for a few reasons... My old quote as below:-

Had an hour to kill so I popped into Mangoletsi today on the off chance they might have an Autodelta remap box for my 210bhp 2.4JTDm.....and they did! :D:thumbs:

Considering I called in un-announced and they were up to their neck in service jobs, plus a few people down (training days and illness), Paul got my car sorted in just over an hour. Great job chaps! Really, really happy!:thumbs:

I chose the Autodelta gear for three reasons I guess.
1. Supplied and fitted by my dealer - warranty issues and so they know exactly whats been done to the car.
2. I can remove and refit the box into another car and/or restore my car to original settings at any time.
3. Remaps get wiped off ecu's easily. Happened with our Alfas and Mercs. :(

I have had remaps in the past (6 different cars and marques in all) and whilst I've always been happy with them, I've had differing performance. One or two have stuttered low down and then walloped you with torque or clouds of black smoke with non-dpf fitted cars or have been wiped off by dealers who update the ECU and then have to be reloaded again (pain in the backside)

The Autodelta jobbie seemed to fit my needs well. Whilst the power increase isn't fantastic (circa 25bhp + more) its much safer than the all-out 'mad-map' that some people like. It can be unplugged easily and there's no soldering as there is on other systems.

I'm mindful of my DPF clogging etc etc of my previous 159's and I really didn't want a 'mad-map' to bring this on - especially when this car really has been perfect so far ;)

I had a great drive back to Sheffield, eventually over Woodhead. The extra power, amazing torque (3rd gear full throttle traction problems!!!!) and total lack of turbo lag is great fun.
3rd and 4th are simply briliant. Pulls like a bloody train! Yee haa!! :D

The down sides :confused: The price. It wasn't cheap. £350+vat fitted and tested. Expensive when reddot and angel will reflash your ecu your car for £250-£280 all in.

I wasn't able to get any pics though - sorry people :(

I'll have a nosey when it's light and look for the little box of tricks - I've no idea where they've put it under the rocker cover :confused::lol:

Next project - Autodelta air filter (undertray off jobbie so CF tells me and it comes highly though of!;))

Now, where's a rolling road when you need it to test my wee beastie..... :evillaugh: Anyone else had a TI with one of these fitted on a rolling road :confused:

If Jano is reading this, can you confirm what you'd expect to see :confused::thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Considering I called in un-announced and they were up to their neck in service jobs, plus a few people down (training days and illness), Paul got my car sorted in just over an hour. Great job chaps! Really, really happy!:thumbs:

I chose the Autodelta gear for three reasons I guess.
1. Supplied and fitted by my dealer - warranty issues and so they know exactly whats been done to the car.
2. I can remove and refit the box into another car and/or restore my car to original settings at any time.
3. Remaps get wiped off ecu's easily. Happened with our Alfas and Mercs. :(
1. You don't have to take you car to a dealer to keep your warranty (all you need is the garage to be VAT registered and use genuine alfa parts), also remaps are impossible to detect (in the software), if you do have a warranty issue then you could always can get the map taken off and THEN take it to get the warranty work done ...
2. A custom map is tuned to your specific car/fuel choice and as such it would be worthless transferring it across, equally it would be tuned EXACTLY to the car and therefore give you better gains (in performance AND economy)
3. Virtually all remappers will reapply the map FOC if wiped due to a software update at a dealer ...

.... but hey you pay your money you take your choices, for me a tuning-box is one step up from the £5 ebay jobbers, basically they work the same by "tricking" your ECU into thinking it's inputs are different from what the sensors are actually reporting (obviously the Autodelta boxes et al are alot more soficisticated and don't follow the sledge hammer approach of the ebay ones) ...

I know lots of people are happy with there boxes and yes they are better than standard, personally however I'd go for a remap ...

·
Registered
15,174 Posts
Fair comments Chris, (youre teaching me to suck eggs - had enough of them in the past:thumbs: )but it was a change for me too as I'm still a big fan of custom remaps.
But for this car, my history with ARUK trolling my posts and peace of mind, the box proved a better bet. Horses for courses matey.
Next time (jan 2010), it might be a remap (maybe in a BMW 335d! :eek::cry:)

:lol::thumbs:

·
Registered
12,881 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Guys,

Have any of you guys told your insurance companies about your re-maps? If so, what is the approx premium hike?

If not, doesn't that mean you are technically uninsured. If you have a box, you can remove it, but with a re-map, not so easy?

I'm told the insurance assessors know what to look for on this kind of thing, all they need to do is plug in a laptop?

Interested to hear how you guys have got round this, or is it a case of bury head in sand and hope for no incidents?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi,

I'm due to pick up my new 159 TI on Wednesday and am considering the Autodelta re-map option on the 1.9jtdm.
I would like to ask the same question as the previous poster.
Did you tell your insurance company? How would they ever find out? If you did, what effect did it have on your premium?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Hi,

I'm due to pick up my new 159 TI on Wednesday and am considering the Autodelta re-map option on the 1.9jtdm.
I would like to ask the same question as the previous poster.
Did you tell your insurance company? How would they ever find out? If you did, what effect did it have on your premium?
I have informed my insurance company " Esure " as per my post above and my premium went up 11% or £58.45 in my case :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts