Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

went to start my car up on Friday (13th) and waited for few secs for plugs to heat then went to fire it up to find it turning over for about 5 seconds before noticing the power draining. I then stopped tried again about it was barely turning over as i assume the battery was drained! so jumped it last night and drove around to recharge the battery. now today it again took a good while to start but luckily rhe battery held out this time. anyone know a possible reason for this happening??
Also on an unrelated note, went to clean out the EGR today but found one of the screws is completely charred and smooth so cant get it off. I think im gonna have to drill it off but cant find anywhere that sells replacement bolts for it, anyone know of anywhere??

cheers

G

·
0 Posts
Mine was taking a few seconds to turn over uring the last cold snap, it then came up with the 'usual' error message and it needed a new crank sensor

·
Registered
30,070 Posts
If the battery is failing after only 5s of turning over, you probably need a new battery.
Removing it and giving it a proper charge may get you by for a while.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
When it's cold I need to time the starter motor turning right - JUST after the glow plugs light goes out. If not then it takes a few seconds to catch with a plume of smoke when it does. :lol:
Never had the battery drain because of it but then my battery is only 6 months old - it sounds like yours is on its last legs.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Haven't seen the screws but can't imagine they are anything extraordinary. Might be worth taking one of the others out and verifying the correct size. A good tool station or fasteners trade shop would probably stock a good selection of screws...or even B&Q thinking of it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also with the battery looks like a nightmare to remove around the positive terminal!!?
but if it is indeed the battery not giving the juice needed may have to do something about it!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
also with the battery looks like a nightmare to remove around the positive terminal!!?
but if it is indeed the battery not giving the juice needed may have to do something about it!
+ve connection on mine was just 1x 8mm nut to undo.:thumbs:

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
Mine took a few turns this morning to start. My first diesel in about 17 years. I guess you need a good battery to turn against all that compression with a diesel.

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
Mine took a few turns this morning to start. My first diesel in about 17 years. I guess you need a good battery to turn against all that compression with a diesel.
It's all about timing the turnover right to when the glow plug indicator goes out. It was 0.5 yesterday when I started up and because I waited a second or so after the indicator went out, it took a few seconds to catch. It was -3 this morning and turning over right on the indicator going out meant that it fired up instantly.

·
Registered
13,685 Posts
It's all about timing the turnover right to when the glow plug indicator goes out. It was 0.5 yesterday when I started up and because I waited a second or so after the indicator went out, it took a few seconds to catch. It was -3 this morning and turning over right on the indicator going out meant that it fired up instantly.
Cheers. As it happened where I'd parked it on the drive I had to get in over the passenger seat. Reached across to start it so I was not ideally placed to see the dash fully :thumbs:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Same here on my 2.4 JTD. takes about five seconds to kick in, really doesnt like the cold. A friend of mine said its quite common, nothing to worry about

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Didn't use the GT at all yesterday, let the glow plug go out then turned over, 2/3 seconds and all was well.

But......I'm finding that the front screen mists up at the drop of a hat on cold/freezing mornings. So much so that with the blowers on full it still was misty after I had scrapped the ice of my car and the wifes Mini. Can't get the air con to come on at those temps, so takes a while longer on standard heating.

Anyone else or just mine?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
I did the Step Dad Taxi routine for my 22 year old step daughter on Saturday night. Being a young lady, she wore the most appropriate outfit for the weather, a tiny skirt and a tiny top.
I tutted as she walked out of the house, but then laughed as she sat on the freezing cold leather of the GT!! :cheese:

·
Registered
255 Posts
My Bella hates the cold. This is her third winter with me and she complains, moans and shouts at me all the bloody time! I have beeping, stuttering and warning lights galore. The kind that are on for 5 secs and then leave with no trace. During the summer i have no such problems! I will say though that shes never failed to start thus far, although on really cold days the starter can be quite sluggish. I havent changed the battery yet and since i bought the car with 48k on her its probably the original. Next winter i reckon will be time for a new one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
mine has been brilliant so far- no warning lights, starts perfectly, fans warm up no worse than on any other car I've owned. Could do with heated seats though...

Oh, and I've obviously cursed my motor now with this post.... :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts