Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm now unable to open the bonnet - the spindle of the plastic bonnet release has sheared off. Talk about an awkward place to get to!

Has anyone else done this? I can't seem to fix it myself, and it looks like I'm facing the dreaded trip to the dealer. Just after xmas - not good for the wallet!

Anyone know roughly what this sort of thing costs to repair?

TIA

·
Registered
896 Posts
Not sure about cost bound to be dear at the Stealer's I did notice mine seemed a bit stiff if your talking out side level that pops out once you pulled in side one, so I oiled it
Liberary. But still seems fragile as only made of plastic should be metal I.s think.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good question, Alfa Tuner.
It's actually the plastic doobrie inside the car. There's a spindle on the plastic release lever that has sheared off, and being without lifting ramps (and being partially disabled), I can't get my head in to have a look at what's going on.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Ok,it is not difficult to change,two parts,handle and bracket (holds with two screws),takes about 15 minutes,cost around 30 for the bits.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This happened to me too not long after I bought my car. It's easy to change though. If its the handle that's snapped, the replacement handle just slides on. If, like mine, its the bracket which has snapped, it is held on with two nuts. Undo these and unclip the release cable and it comes off.
I ordered the whole lot but as said above, you can order either the handle or the bracket.

You can still open the bonnet by manually turning the mechanism where it has snapped.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Broke mine with my size 11's, luckily still under warranty at the time. It does not seem that robust, maybe made from chocolate...?

·
Registered
4,830 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Now why doesn't someone do a nice billet unit as an aftermarket part

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Cost !

It would have to be a cast item plus final machining to make it any where near acceptable, then it would not be cheap.

Anyone with a 3D printer could have a bit of a money maker.

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
just realised this afternoon that the external one in the grille has snapped on mine. can still open the bonnet, just gotta shove my fingers further in (fnarr...) to reach what's left of the lever. more shoddy crap from alfa wherever you can't see them skimping on materials.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Internal lever on my Brera broke after having been in the bodyshop for some small touch-ups. Could still open the bonnet but felt very dodgy. Sure someone at the bodyshop broke it not understanding that you have to pull the stupid little lever that pops out of the grille to open the bonnet, and kept pulling on the lever.
From day one I wondered why Alfa came up with such a stupid release system.
Anyway, same bodyshop took the lever apart to reveal that someone had gippoed it, supposedly previously.
Got the replacement part from AR Dealer and they fitted it. Not expensive - under GBP20 if I remember correctly.
Still don't allow anyone else to open the bonnet - really too complicated. Even at the local Concourse I watched the judges scratching their heads trying to work it out.:confused:

·
Registered
714 Posts
another crap Alfa design mine went last year .... really really shoddy that's why ive ordered a new car to replace the 159 sick and tired of things always going wrong with the bloody thing ... now the bonnet wont close just keeps bouncing back up and wont latch!!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
grrr... any one claimed this on an aftermarket warranty? I checked my papers and cant see this or any bonnet latch stuff in the long, long list of covered items... :(

and a headlight has just gone as well.

amazing shoddy design, skimping...

·
Registered
714 Posts
I had to replace the cable in the end as it had overstretched hench the bonnet not closing. Now works a treat. Cost me about £30 for the cable and £50 at my local mechanic to replace. The new internal mount bracket (which had snapped) was around a tenner delivered but I changed that myself.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The problem I had was with the bonnet popping back up after I had closed it - luckily the safety catch held. I used a lot of WD-40 and an old toothbrush to clean it up and then applied grease to the vital bits and it's now fine.
It is worth investing a bit of time on this (it ought to be a service item) because if the catch doesn't work properly you are a lot more likely to break the plastic release handle.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I managed to snap off the plastic handle through the grill last weekend. I can't find a replacement at the moment on the usual sites I try.

Can I get these on there own through the dealer. Don't look too bad to replace but I can still open the bonnet by pushing up on the remainder.

What a nuisance.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's the same as mine. The lever inside the front grille snapped off and its quite awkward when trying to open the bonnet now. I'm trying to track a new one down if anyone can point me in the right direction....Thanks

·
Registered
38,346 Posts
Mine snapped on the 159 when I slammed the bonnet one time.
(I heard it go and the piece fall onto the sump guard.)

Just enough of a stump left to open it, luckily.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts