Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Thinking of purchasing a 407 2.0 diesel. Maybe a 57/08 plate, 30k miles, about £6k or so. A lot of car for the money with a high spec, just wondering if anyone has ever owned one and if so, how are they to drive And service/maintain?
My wife has recently got a 307 1.6 diesel and I'm really impressed with it. I have a 06 plate gt and the ride is too hard for me, it's rattling my teeth out and not practical for a young family anymore! I really want a 159 but too expensive to buy and run at present, will maybe get one in a few years or so. Just want rid of the gt, recently my mate had a 40mph crash in a 1 series BMW with his little lad in it and its got me thinking how unsafe and unpractical the gt really is! His bm was written off but everyone escaped without a scratch and I don't think I could say the same if it happened in my alfa gt!

M

·
0 Posts
I've not owned one myself but about the only real issues we've had at work are with the DMFs on the 2.0 HDIs and the front lower balljoints across the 407 range. Apart from that they are fairly decent cars. Peugeots HDI engines are fairly robust so you should get good mileage out of them.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Ran them in the Prison Service. Not quite as sharp as the 405/6 to drive but a really nice car :)

·
Registered
9,496 Posts
A lad on 155.org (Sebasteeno) runs a 407 estate as a Taxi in Hull - on his second one if I remember correctly, so can't be too bad.

Wouls have thought you'd get a 159 for £6K, though....

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could get a 159 for 6k but would be high mileage and expensive to run. Would rather spend £12k on a 159 but don't have any money so credit probably required!

·
Registered
974 Posts
Could get a 159 for 6k but would be high mileage and expensive to run. Would rather spend £12k on a 159 but don't have any money so credit probably required!
My 2.4 Lusso 210 with 43K on the clock cost me 7K :)..

I had a 407 2.7HDI as a company car.. Was very nice, but didn't like the look of it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2.4 Lusso 210 with 43K on the clock cost me 7K :)..

I had a 407 2.7HDI as a company car.. Was very nice, but didn't like the look of it.
Thanks for that, what year is your 159?

I like the 407 from the front and especially the back but they look very long from the side!
Was it nice to drive? Was the mpg as good as the specs and did you do a lot of miles in it and have any breakdowns/problems? Sorry..... 1 more question..... Did it have many rattles, creaks?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts