Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all.

I'm in the process of fitting the big front Brembo brake calipers (and big discs) to my 1.9 JTDm 159.

I have the calipers, discs, pads and hoses, bolts etc but the fitting for the calipers is different on the 1.9 to the 2.4. The only part that is different is the casting that connects the top and bottom front wishbones on the front suspension. The item in question is a question mark (?) shape (as it bends to go around the wheel).

I've sourced a n/s one from a local breaking yard (picking up on Friday), but I desparately need the one from the o/s (drivers side).

If anyone knows of anyone breaking a 159 that uses Brembo calipers at the front, please let me know.

Oh, I could also do with the front disc heat shields as well. ;)

James

·
Registered
282 Posts
hi Mate,
ive done this to my old 159 and thought id make a suggestion, the brake lines with the new Brembos is tight, i had to get a small 2inch copper L make up to fit directly into the Brembos so it gave me some extra length, it only cost me about 2 quid a side but Really recommend you get some as on Full lock the pipe is pulled very tight.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hi Mate,
ive done this to my old 159 and thought id make a suggestion, the brake lines with the new Brembos is tight, i had to get a small 2inch copper L make up to fit directly into the Brembos so it gave me some extra length, it only cost me about 2 quid a side but Really recommend you get some as on Full lock the pipe is pulled very tight.
Wow - thanks thats a really good tip. Please may I ask where you got them made up?

Also, did you do anything else apart from replacing the wishbone connecting castings (? shape) and the calipers themselves. Any other problems I should look out for?

Many thanks
James

·
Registered
282 Posts
ok the 2.4 hubs fit the 1.9 with nps so safe there,
the whole thing is pretty straight forward and simple. you might find the lower balljoint a PITA to remove i ended up having to jack the car up then jack the whole suspension section using a quick release jack, then once it was at max height drop the suspension jack, Then use a ball joint splitter on it but apart from that it was easy enough.

the L joint can be made at Any local place that sell copper brake lines just tell them what you need (2-3 inch copper brake pipe with fittings and made into a small L shape. its that simple. or you can buy the bits and bobs off ebay for about 20quid. Or if push comes to shove buy a 2.4 flexy brake line for the brembos.

One last thing the ABS sensor... i had a hard time removing mine and in the end they snap'ed this is apparently very common so make sure you have 2 to hand for the new uprights. Dont buy them off alfa trey your local motorfactors! alfa charge about 3x's as much as a good motorfactors do. i think i payed about 12quid each for mine.

this May or may not be of help to you but a post from another forum( is this allowed?) of when i changed mine
Alfa Romeo forum: 159 bits arriving

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks - that is incredibly useful. Just what I needed. I hadn't even thought about the ABS sensors. Thanks for the heads up.

Did you need to replace the hubs as well or was it just that they came with the uprights?

Also, my calipers came with the flexi hoses so I might be ok and not need the little "L" shape pieces after all.

Your car looks amazing with its new calipers on - I now really have to do this!

James

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hi,n
No the 2.4 hubs will work fine with the 1.9driveshaft so no need to change them.

my car did look good unfortunately its in the scrapyard in the sky now :cry: so now have a Black Ti 2.4 :inlove:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK - I still need a pair of 2.4 front brake disk heatshields and a drivers side upright/hub (the part that connects the upper and lower front arms).

I've emailed every breaker in the book (and everyone on ebay breaking or dealing Alfa 159 spares) and no luck.

Anyone?

Thanks
James

·
Registered
282 Posts
give this chap a pm on ebay ilcontedicavour2
a link to his ebay site is ilcontedicavour2 | eBay
he is the fellow i bought all my bits from when doing my upgrade his prices are good and hes quick on delivery, he will prob ask for a bank transfer and keep it out of ebay, but you'll get a lower price off him that way, he also goes under the name of ilcontedicavour on ebay and that shop link is ilcontedicavour | eBay.
I know of a few people who have bought off him and hes 100% trusted by all of us.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
give this chap a pm on ebay ilcontedicavour2
a link to his ebay site is ilcontedicavour2 | eBay
he is the fellow i bought all my bits from when doing my upgrade his prices are good and hes quick on delivery, he will prob ask for a bank transfer and keep it out of ebay, but you'll get a lower price off him that way, he also goes under the name of ilcontedicavour on ebay and that shop link is ilcontedicavour | eBay.
I know of a few people who have bought off him and hes 100% trusted by all of us.
Thanks for the tip - he has the parts I need and he's very keenly priced too. Incredibly helpful and responds to all emails almost instantly.

I'd recommend to anyone!

James

·
Registered
282 Posts
Glad he could be of assistance,
remember the bits will be coming from Italy so allow a few extra days for the delivery :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts