Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It might not be the top of your want list but I have the faulty unit I swapped out of my car and it keeps staring at me when I go out to the garage.

I was going to send it to an ECU repair place, so that I would have a spare for the next time mine went (I had put in a good, but used one, so it might not have lasted forever).

If anyone wants to do similar, I will pass it on for the cost of postage, it seems a waste to throw it away.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I think the problem with these 2si units is that you can't get the ECU repaired anywhere unlike the later units so it is probably worth just scrapping it. I've got 3 sat in my garage of which only one works I think.....

Real shame as us early Ph 1 owners will really struggle in a few years time, at least you can convert to non ABS and still pass an MOT though.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Apologies I thought you had an early Ph1 with a 2si, please ignore my post....yours is fixable by just about all the ECU companies out there.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
great, thanks! I won’t throw it out for the time being then. Hopefully someone could use it.

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
I think the problem with these 2si units is that you can't get the ECU repaired anywhere unlike the later units so it is probably worth just scrapping it. I've got 3 sat in my garage of which only one works I think.....

Real shame as us early Ph 1 owners will really struggle in a few years time, at least you can convert to non ABS and still pass an MOT though.
I think this is the likely outcome. Out of interest what would be the procedures involved for removing ABS? I'm thinking among other things the ABS light on the dash which if on is an MOT fail?

·
Registered
322 Posts
The parts I was advised by my MOT tester you'd have to remove (he read up for me in the DVLA guidance that's published) to pass a test for a car you were converting was:

ABS Unit and ECU
Wiring Loom for unit (not a difficult job as I've just changed mine)
Cabling for wheel sensors should be removed (i.e. terminated or cut off) but sensors can stay in place in the hubs.
Remove fuses

You'd have to do some work with the hard brake lines that go into the ABS unit and that's about it. The supply for the dash light comes via the ABS ECU which in turn is fed by the 10A and 60A fuses so that "should" be OK to leave fitted. All of the other aspects of the system (i.e. master cylinder, compensator) should stay and will be sufficient for the task.

The early integrale 8V's were non ABS, their mass/ and braking system specs are very similar to the Spider/GTV with arguably more power so that would be a good basic specification to work from

I'm genuinely hoping it doesn't come to this but eventually it will if we want to keep the early cars on the road, sure insurance would be bit of a bind too.

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
Ok thanks for that. Fairly involved then but not difficult/impossible. I'd forgotten about insurance, that might be a problem!

Certainly also hope this won't be the route to take but as you say the early ABS is a nightmare when goes wrong. Another time bomb for the phase 1 916 Alfas unfortunately.

·
Registered
322 Posts
It wouldn't be through choice for any of us I suspect, just a necessity if we wish to keep our Ph 1 cars on the road.

Although I'm sure the blue/white wire connected to purple/white wire behind the clocks will keep a few going......

·
Registered
96 Posts
[QUOTE = "anglospider, post: 17584107, członek: 49103"]
Pochodzi z ph3 2002, czy to jednostka 2si?
[/ZACYTOWAĆ] If the pump number is 0 265 216 531 and the controller number is 0 273 004 495, then Bosch ABS 5.7 ASR.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Ok thanks for that. Fairly involved then but not difficult/impossible. I'd forgotten about insurance, that might be a problem!

Certainly also hope this won't be the route to take but as you say the early ABS is a nightmare when goes wrong. Another time bomb for the phase 1 916 Alfas unfortunately I suspect that Bosch 2SI can be replaced with Bosch 5.3 with Alfa * / *. I just don't know what impact the weight difference can have: 175-295kg.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts