Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The exhaust on the Spider sounds OK and is not falling apart but it is some kind of aftermarket job and doesn't fit well. It could do with an extra bracket for support, for example, as it hangs low and catches on speed bumps, and on the road if I'm driving enthusiastically and go through a dip. Even with an extra support, I don't think it would lift very high.
The suspension is not lowered.

So I'm looking at options for either getting someone to cut it about and weld it into a better shape for the car, or go for a new system. I can't find any custom exhaust places in or around Harlow, which seems odd. If anyone knows any, please let me know.

These guys in Watford offer a stainless, cat back system for £450 which is not expensive (I looked at the Alfaholics website and £1,600 for their's seems a bit OTT! Even if it is very good quality..). Does anybody know them or their work?

They also do remaps and claim they could get an additional 32 bhp from the V6 as well as improved torque.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Yes I had a cat back system for my spider from these guys. The guy that actually does the work is excellent and will discuss what sound you want, I went for mid sound and I lost one of the rear boxes. I drive it alot and didn't want it too noisy for every day driving. It's been on the car for 4 years and no issues with the system. As far as I'm aware it's still the same guy working there, he's a Polish guy. Proud of his work.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Thanks for the info.,

Cheers,
Nick
I recommend Vortex Technology in Grays, cheaper than most but with tangible benefits.

They've done a few v6 Brera's including sending me the cat back system to fit myself. The results are superb, both in sounds and performance, with no reduction in refinement. Others have reported 8% better mpg, in my case its about 5%.

https://vortexexhaust.com

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recommend Vortex Technology in Grays
Thanks, those systems look pretty cool!

An improvement in mpg would be very welcome too. Is it worth changing the cats for free flowing ones, or are the originals OK?

I should be picking the Spider up from Auto Alfa on Monday (with new cam belts, SMF and new clutch and Q2 diff fitted) , the Vortex guys are only about 20mins from there so I could pop in.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Thanks, those systems look pretty cool!

An improvement in mpg would be very welcome too. Is it worth changing the cats for free flowing ones, or are the originals OK?

I should be picking the Spider up from Auto Alfa on Monday (with new cam belts, SMF and new clutch and Q2 diff fitted) , the Vortex guys are only about 20mins from there so I could pop in.
I still have all cats in place, but sports ones would probably give an even better result.
Attached is a photo looking into the cat end of the Vortex unit. The gas is forced around the outside of the central cone and you would think that there is quite an obstruction to the flow but this is what generates the vortex and makes the it work.

You can hear mine on this thread.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/tuning-andamp-upgrades/202005-vortex-exhaust-it-works-3.html

Certainly makes sense to call in and see what they can do (ask for their best price).

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts