Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keep getting a knocking/creaking sound from the back both sides, been in twice to the Indy(Avanti Autos), bushes and wishbones are fine(car only done 34k), diagnosed as worn top mounts, had those replaced last week along which rubber cups for parts of the struts on the B14 kit where it seems :confused:there is the potential for metal on metal action, all well for a few days took it for a blast down to the coast yesterday and the noise seems to be coming back, doing my head in now!! I want to do a road trip to Lake Garda next year so want to get this resolved, I was wondering maybe my coilovers are the cause?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Though I can't add anymore insight to your problem Chris, I've got the same coilovers on my sportwagon and what you've described sounds like what I've been hearing as well since I had them fitted a year ago. The sounds go away after a few miles but if I go over a considerable bumpy patch of road it'll start again. How does the rear of the car feel by the way? Mine feels VERY rigid of recent but I'm not sure whether it's due to the addition of a eibach arb or the Bilsteins have been beaten into submission by the roads?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah feels pretty stiff at the back, but nothing abnormal, before I had the new mounts/rubber cups/liners fitted I could replicate the noise by pushing the rear of the car up and down when stationary, after the work I was unable to do it again till last night after a long run I could do it again at least on the offside, have not used the car yet today and tried to get it knocking but could not, so it seems to become worse after heavy use/heat?? weird..mine are about 2years/15k old.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quoting from someone with them on the Clio forum:

"About 6 months ago when my car came back out the garage from winter I noticed occasionally when I braked a creaking noise from under the car. Sounded horrible and I panicked that I might have left some subframe bolts undone from fitting my 182 mani. I checked ALL the bolts and nothing was lose

The noise happened occasionally when braking and sometimes when going over speed bumps

Since I got back from Donington though it's creaking very loudly every time I brake and I'm now SURE it's coming from the front coilovers. It's started doing it when I turn too and making a juddering noise

Not very happy as the Bilsteins have done less than 6k - the car has hardly been out the garage since they were fitted.
Is there anything I can do? Is it salt or rust on the springs or something?

Phil, mine did exactly the same. Have had them rebuilt for £80+ vat each. Water gets into the top bearings and causes them to fail.

Send them here, but ring first if you want a quick turn around."

David Masters
Bilstein UK
Unit 3
Swannington Road
Broughton Astley
Leicestershire
LE9 6TU
Day: 01455 283407
Fax: 01455 283301

Maybe I have found my answer...

·
Registered
260 Posts
You could be onto something there as my front end sounds bad in the damp/wet conditions and I also give the arches a blast with water every time I'm washing it. I've booked myself into the local alfa dealer on thursday for it to be checked out saying it could be the upper w/bones. So if it comes back with nothing wrong I'll go down this path methinks...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts