Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Also bit confused as to what the s tronic bit is.

Audi's site says the a six speed tiptronic box mated to the DSG
but there's also some power steering malarkey thats called something to do with tronic too :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
Tested an AUDI TT last September on track. It had a 3.2 engine and the S-tonic transmission mated with DSG box. It's a semi-auto transmission. It has shift paddles on the steering wheel, but if you forget to use them the S-tronic shifts up automatically for you.
The DSG, as you know, has next gear engaged even before you shift. Strange sound and feeling, but very effective.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tested an AUDI TT last September on track. It had a 3.2 engine and the S-tonic transmission mated with DSG box. It's a semi-auto transmission. It has shift paddles on the steering wheel, but if you forget to use them the S-tronic shifts up automatically for you.
The DSG, as you know, has next gear engaged even before you shift. Strange sound and feeling, but very effective.
Sounds fun, was it?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Also bit confused as to what the s tronic bit is.

Audi's site says the a six speed tiptronic box mated to the DSG
but there's also some power steering malarkey thats called something to do with tronic too :(
Wifey says that they just decided to simply rename the DSG transmission when they stuck it in an Audi, hence "S-tronic" because just calling it DSG was, well, just a bit dull and sounded a bit like a disease or a nasty chemical.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wifey says that they just decided to simply rename the DSG transmission when they stuck it in an Audi, hence "S-tronic" because just calling it DSG was, well, just a bit dull and sounded a bit like a disease or a nasty chemical.
I'm still confused :confused: :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Something to do with the American market, still the same thing afaik.

I've used it on an A3 2.0tdi and as much as i wanted to hate it, (cambiocorsa convert here) it really is brilliant.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds fun, was it?
Not as much fun as the S-8 and especialy the RS4, which were both avalable for a spin the same day.:D In fact, a friend of mine and myself agreed that the TT is quite dull compared to the GTA. The TT may be faster and great around corners, but subjectively the GTA is way quicker and much more fun to drive.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've used it on an A3 2.0tdi and as much as i wanted to hate it, (cambiocorsa convert here) it really is brilliant.
That's good to hear, the reason I'm asking is because we are (Still) pondering what to replace my other half's company car with, our previous A3 was taken off us because we had exceeded the mileage allowance so now have a Passat Pool car. We are pretty much 100% going for an A3 Sportwagon but we were unsure about whether to stick with a manual or try the s-tronic with it's paddle-shift semi-auto system. We've exhausted our allocation of demo car's (we were allowed 3 demo cars for the weekend) and trying to get a dealer to give us a test drive is proving difficult. I don't like making a decision without actually seeing it in the flesh.

Not as much fun as the S-8 and especially the RS4, which were both avalable for a spin the same day.:D In fact, a friend of mine and myself agreed that the TT is quite dull compared to the GTA. The TT may be faster and great around corners, but subjectively the GTA is way quicker and much more fun to drive.
See above. ;)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Let us know what you decide to do in the end Ghosty.
I managed to get a test drive of one yesterday, it wasn't the 170ps, only the 140ps but it was still impressive.

The paddle shift worked bang on although I think I'll save playing with it for another day. DSG is awesome it shifts incredibly quickly through the gears and in sport mode just booting the floor with my right foot gave me lots of smiles. It also has a tiptronic style shifter built in too. In all it couldn't be better, so we are buying one.

Finally made our decision.

Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDi (170) SE S-Tronic with black Half leather Half Alcantara interior, black roof lining. Exterior in Bright Red with nice big 5 spoke 17" Alloys.

Should be here in 3 months cos we'll have to have it built to spec.

WOOHOO!!!

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice one. Good luck with the car (and post some piccies, we won't slag it off ... too much ;))
Heh, thanks mate, I will still have an Alfa though, unlike some I could mention.

:p

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
GhostyDog said:
unlike some I could mention.
You want some spanking :rant: ?!?!?

;)

PS: I may actually get to test drive the 3.2 TT in the next week or so. Will let you know how I get on with the DSG thingy.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You want some spanking :rant: ?!?!?
Spank me baby!!!!

In all seriousness though, I'll be interested to read your review. :)

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Emailed the salesperson, let's see if he comes back to me (won't tell him I'm an Alfa nut till after the test drive though :p).
Heh, salespeople, tell you what they think you want to hear. To get a test drive I went with the other half and did the old good cop bad cop thing.

I was really enthusiastic about it, she was a bit oh I don't really like it... in that scenario the salesman knows he's sold the car to one of the couple so will give you better service in case the one that loves it can persuade the one that isn't sure to go for it anyway.

We were never going to buy it from them anyway, and he said to us as about another customer that was leasing a car, he didn't have the time of day for him because he'd "get no commission". If only he knew :D

Complete a$$ but we still got to take the car out as we'd obviously done our homework and looked like real prospective buyers (which we are just not off him).

I just think at the end of the day we are still buying an Audi so as an Audi dealer they should at the very least be an ambassador for the brand and allow people test drives, even if it is a waste of their time.

It doesn't matter where we buy it from to Audi as they get a sale, I wonder what Audi UK's head office would think of this sort of attitude, and I reckon it's prevalent across the industry regardless of marque.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Fair points.

The guy I emailed is actually a rep for our company (we get a slight discount) so I'd expect a decent amount of service.

We'll see, no reply yet...
He's probably sitting there with a 100 other requests to drive a TT in his Inbox. ;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts