Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if so, can u tell me whats the wheel above the alt on the belts .
my mech told me but i forgot.:confused:
cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
no it not knocking but its develpoed a kind of " whine" behind the engine noise.( which is messing with the engines idle cos of the increased strain on the alt. got it located there, either alt or power steering pully ( thnxs mototech ). and im just need to kow whats what so i can get the right part.

found a alt on ebay for 25quid in gd nick, just waiting to hear if it will do my car ( 98 156 2-0 ts )

also had a frustrating afternoon, was expecting him to replace two front drop links ( but the ones on where fine ) so im still stuck with a annoying rattle when i hit a bumpy part of the road or a pot hole, will investiogate that more on saterday when i have the whole day free.

grrrr, the car woul dbe soooo perfect if it wasnt for these 2 small things. and i'll tell u this, any other car that gave me so much jip would of been offloaded as soon as, but the 156 is just soooooo sweet, i cant let it go lol. quirks n all. oh and iv named her " alfaretta haha

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
"Alfaretta", LOL, the knocking suspension could be either upper wishbone bushes (replace the arms) or shocks (replace shocks).

The whining is more likely to be the water pump.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
would the water pump rise and fall exactly with thr revs ?.

damn thought i had it down to 1 or 2 things it could be. & shocks....didnt even think of that.

so satarday...

1 check waterpump / alt / power st pully
2 check shock
3 empty bank account :cry::cry: hmm ahh well, it will be worth it when its done.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Narrow down the source of the whining by removing the auxiliary belt. Start the engine and listen.

If the whining is gone, then it can be the alternator, power steering, aircon pump or aux belt idler pulley (most probably this one if it has any play in it or sounds rough if spinned by hand).

If the whining is still there, then it can be the water pump, cambelt tensioner pulley/ idler pulley or balancing belt tensioner pulley.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts