Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Passing a local car lot a few weeks ago noticed a 147 on the forecourt. As of Friday, when I had time to pull in, it was still there. I don't think it's something I really have to have right now, but who knows, it might be just the thing someone here is looking for. The car is an '02 147 Selespeed, 2 owners, 70k mls, reportedly FSH in nice (IMO) pale metallic green, 16" original equip' alloys. Sorry, don't know official name for the colour. The price sticker says 4995GBP.
Things I don't know about the 147 Selespeed:
Are they all 3-door?
Does the Selespeed label infer a particular trim level (same as 'Lusso' ??).
I've heard and read various things about the reliability of the transmission. Do problems typically occur, get cured and never re-occur, or are they just damn troublesome. I mean, is the likelihood of trouble with a 70,000ml car greater or less than one with say 20,000?

·
Registered
113 Posts
As it is an '02 it's a 2nd generation Selespeed. They are generally known to be a lot more reliable than the earlier version.
I guess you potentially will get more problems with a 70k car than a 20k one but that goes for all the components of the car, not just the Selespeed transmission. Guess the key thing is if it has been well looked after.

I have only ever seen 3 door lusso spec'ed 147s but I don't know if that is the only option available.

I absolutely love my Selespeed and have never had any problems with it ('02 147 as well). To me it gives me the best of two worlds, sporting driving with 'manual' gearchange, and not the hassle of a proper manual with a clutch for normal everyday driving.

Take it for a test drive and see what you think. To proper test the Selespeed transmission I would go through the following things on a test drive.

• Smooth gear change in city mode when driven normally
  • Smooth gear change in city mode when driven hard
  • Smooth 'manual' gear change when driven normally
  • Smooth 'manual' gear change when driven hard
  • In second gear accelerate to about 6500 rpm, the rev limiter should then shift to 3rd for - this change should also be nice and smooth
  • Try 'crawling' very slowly in 1st gear and check that the car doesn't 'jump' (this can occur when the it is cold outside and the engine is cold but should go away after a minute of 2)
  • Test that both flappy paddles and gear lever works
  • Reverse around a bit - try a few manouvres. Reverse parking up a hill can be a bit tricky until you get the hang of it
Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Brian, great info for anyone considering the beast. I'm hopeless at decision making, actually my heart says "GTV" and but what about taking the dogs out and going to the tip (heavens, what a thought!).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts