Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 166 for almost 4 years now. It's a great car, yada yada yada, but I have some problems from then to then with the immobilizer system. 99 times of 100, the car always starts but #100 the CODE-lamp (key lamp) wont turn off and the car is impossible to start.
It can take 40 times, 20 minutes etc without any sucess. The lamp wont go out. This happens randomly, whether the battery is fully loaded or the car has been parked for a week.
The keys are free from dirt and since the problem doesn't always appears I don't really know what the problem is.

Soooooo, the easiest way should be to disconnect it. :lol:
I don't have the key though, but does anyone know if it's possible to disconnect by cutting a cable (don't think so, right?), simply remove or perhaps order a new key from a Alfa Romeo shop? Or can perhaps the shop turn it off?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Have had this problem once. Solved it by pushing and pulling the steering wheel axialy and moving up and down radialy. Later my mechanic unplugged the connector of the antenna underneath the steering wheel and tightened the female connector plugs.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I've noticed a few Fiats guilty of this one too. It usually is a problem with the antenna at the ignition coil. It is nigh on impossible to bypass and would involve rending off the ECU. Most places are reluctant to do it nowadays.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I guess it should be impossible to disconnect. So, does anyone have any better instructions of the "antenna at the ignition coil" thing? A picture or something?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts