Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Is there anyway to check, especially when buying a used car, if it has any accident history ?

For example, if I bought a used Alfa with full dealer service history, should any accident history be in the Alfa computer system ? If so, would they share it with me ?

Cheers

K

·
0 Posts
they may not share any info with you, although if they know of any by law they are supposed to tell you if you ask.
if you have the reg then go on to the RAC website, for £10 (think it was, haven't used it for a while) you put in the reg no and any other details you have ( a chassis number taken from the car is always a good idea to get) and it comes up with any previous recorded damage, any outstanding finance (vital, because YOU are liable for it if there is anything left to pay) plus a few other useful bits like engine numbers, mileage? i think.
you don't need to be an RAC member either :thumbs:
i'm sure there are other companies out there who will do it even cheaper, but at least the RAC is a big enough organisation to have a bit of 'come back' if there are any difficulties ;)

A

·
0 Posts
The only accident history you will be able to find is if the car has been recorded as a cat C or cat D and has been repaired. AFAIK there 's no record kept of any major accident repairs paid for by insurance companies. As long as any repair has been done properly there is nothing to worry about. If not an experienced eye will see evidence of the work.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
With the exception of a HPI, which only tells you if a car WASN'T fixed by the insurance company, not if it was...then the only way is a trained eye. Things like colour mismatches, edges on panels, paint defects, mis-aligned panels.

Always pull the carpets up in the boot and look for a crumpled floor pan e.t.c

·
Registered
90 Posts
As siad, if its not recorded (i.e. a CAT), the best way is to have a look around. Get a pound coin, and slide it between all the panel gaps. The coin should be loose, it is tight in aeras, it might have had an accident.

Also, get a magnet, and wrap it in tissue. Then stick to the main parts of the car (wings, rear quater panel, etc.). If you feel a reduce magnetism force, it may have filler hiding some damage.

Look underthe boot carpet for rear impact damage and look under the bonet for respray. Also, lift the window rubber around the front screen and look for a colour difference.

·
Registered
38,249 Posts
You could always pay the AA or RAC and get an independent inspection. I think it cost around £120 or so.

They will find evidence of previous accident damage if there is any.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts