Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few days ago, one of the front tyres on my Mito got punctured only after 8000km. The tyres are Pirrelli PZero Nero (215/40 R18w).

So, I'm thinking of buying just one new Pzero Nero or
I am also considering getting a new set of two tyres instead. Probably other brands.

What would be a cheaper but relatively good options for tyres on my Mito?

I'd like to also know if it's completely faultless to fit 225/45 or 225/40 R18 size on a Mito.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
I'd like to also know if it's completely faultless to fit 225/45 or 225/40 R18 size on a Mito.
225/40R18 are 8mm bigger in diameter.
225/45R18 are 31mm bigger in diameter..... :read:

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1 Asym.2 - running these on my Quattro TT @ 18" and the grip is truly staggering. Wet handling instills confidence, and low wear rate. I have covered 12k miles and the fronts are 5mm across and 6.5mm across on the back. I reckon I will get another 10K miles before the fronts change.

Got the Dunlop SportMaxx RT on the GTV, which is another awesome tyre, but much higher wear rate than the Goodyear's. Think I will go Goodyear on the Alfa when they are due for a change over.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Any good brand will do, Pirelli's P Zero (not the Rosso), always change in pairs though
You don't always have to change in pairs. If the punctured tyre's partner on the same axle is still pretty new, you can safely fit a new replacement tyre of the same exact make and type for the punctured tyre without replacing its partner on the same axle. If it's quite old and worn though, then you should replace both.

If you are fitting a different brand, then obviously replace both, as running two different tyres on the same axle is not a good idea.

I will give another vote for GoodYear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 tyres. I have always got very good performance from them, in both the wet and the dry. They "progressively" lose grip as well, which is good for safety - they do not suddenly give up all grip without warning.
I believe there's now a "3" version of this tyre which has replaced the "2". I have not used it, but if it's anything like the "2", it'll be brilliant.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've got 18's on my Mito also. At the front I've got hankook Ventus prime and at the rear I have Dunlop sports. Both good tyres and the grip is very tgood. The other tyre brands mentioned above you can't really go wrong.

I've looked for the Goodyear Eagle F1's before, however I cannot find them in the 18" only the 17". For a cheaper option kuhmo ecsta sport have really good reviews. ( I personally have never tried them ). Maybe try Toyo proxes.

(I've noticed the Pirelli p zero have mixed reviews)

Joe

·
Registered
260 Posts
I had Kumho Ecsta le Sport KU39s (in 17" form) on mine before the Goodyear Eagle F1s I have now and I thought they were excellent grip wise, they didn't wear all that well though.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I had Kumho Ecsta le Sport KU39s (in 17" form) on mine before the Goodyear Eagle F1s I have now and I thought they were excellent grip wise, they didn't wear all that well though.
Strange to hear your GY's didn't wear well. Did you get a proper 4/wheel alignment done? As mine still have 5+mm after 12k miles.

Or was that the Kumho, bit Zzzzz

At other post on Toyo T1R's very sticky in dry, very lairy in wet on my old MGF VVC, rear drive... Wore out very quickly for me

·
Registered
260 Posts
Strange to hear your GY's didn't wear well. Did you get a proper 4/wheel alignment done? As mine still have 5+mm after 12k miles.

Or was that the Kumho, bit Zzzzz

At other post on Toyo T1R's very sticky in dry, very lairy in wet on my old MGF VVC, rear drive... Wore out very quickly for me
It was the Kumhos that didn't wear well.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
So,,is it ok to fit 225/40 and 225/45 on a Mito??
First: Have a look in the car's manual to see what is listed there. Remember, speed an load ratings are also very important for safety! Don't fit tyres with lower speed and/or load ratings than specified.

Second: You currently have 215/40R18 on, right? If you fitted 225/40R18 they would have a 1,3% greater circumference. That *should* be fine, as it's basically within the size difference between a new or worn tyre - practically negligible.
If you fitted 225/45R18 tyres, they would have a 4.9% greater circumference. That may cause problems, as 4.9% is significantly larger. It would cause the car to drive noticeably faster at any specific revs - say you previously did 70mph at 3000rpm (pulling figures out of a hat here) you'd now be doing nearly 74mph at 3000rpm and your acceleration figures would be lower. A 4,9% larger tyre might also cause problems with rubbing inside the wheel arches.

·
Registered
808 Posts
225/40/18 is perfectly fine to use on the Mito (from experience)
225/45/18 would be a big difference and I'm not sure they'd fit without rubbing

·
Registered
542 Posts
I have a set of 18 inch Falken Fk452 in 215x40 on all four corners of my Mito. I find the grip to be very good both wet and dry, but they are a bit noisy, especially if the pavement is rough!
The V-pattern in the tire makes a bit of a humming sound also...
Very good tire for the price though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts