Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No doubt some people will think I'm mad but this year, I've planned to be self sufficent in our house for at least a month, should the worst happen:eek:

Basically, I don't think it would take much of a civil emergency to cause society to go to hell in a handcart so we've stocked up on long dated non-perishable food, water, water purification, powdered mile & egg, medical & sanitary supplies in addition to batteries, radios, lighting, medical face masks & extra gas bottles for our camping stove / calor heater.

I've also planned means of making our house extra secure and weaponary to defend it if needed or to hunt, should the need arrise.

A month is about right as the Government would hopefully re-group and regian some form of normality after, say, a pandemic.

The yanks do this as part or their daily lives:-

Build A Kit | Ready.gov

Anyone else of a simialr mindset?

Cheers,

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
I keep my camping kit already to go, excluding MREs and water, so that'd be the only two additions needed if I have to live off the land, so to speak.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I keep my camping kit already to go, excluding MREs and water, so that'd be the only two additions needed if I have to live off the land, so to speak.
We considered ration packs too:thumbs:

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You only need an assault rifle, preferably an AK47 since they're pretty robust.

Then you can go out looking for everything else you need. :)
Ralf S.
Got to make do with my trusty .22 A/R, Barnett slingshot and my soon to be purchased Cross Bow:(

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
My next door neighbour is a market gardener, has a couple of poly tunnels, grows all sorts, the fields all around are full of cows and sheep, if the **** hit the fan I'd do a deal whereby they get my labour for the food.

:)

Although, if it were Zombies I'd probably neck some drain cleaner, **** that for a game of soldiers.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zombies could be fun (as long as they were slow moving & dim whitted and not like the rabid ones in 28 days later).

·
Registered
521 Posts
I think you are sensible. But after publicising it you are probably going to be labelled a "Tin-Foil-Hatter" by some of the ruder elemnts on this site!

I have always wanted to be self sufficient, not for reasons of survival but because I like to live that way.
We are fortunate that we live in the country and grow probably 80% of the veg. we use. We have access to wood for our fire. And spring water (we don't use it but note to self: I should buy myself a filter).

Since the financial crisis started we have consciously been 'second shoping'. What I mean is buy extras of anything that you actually use taking advantage of BOGOFs and bulk buys. Being 'careful' in our shopping has saved us money - frankly the price of food has risen more than the interest we'd have received on money in the bank.
Providing you are disciplined in your storage (FIFO: first-in-first-out) you can keep a couple of months stuff in store. Make sure the freezer is full- not ice cream and treats but with stuff you can actually eat - obviously power might be off but the food frozen in a modern freezer should 'last' a couple of weeks.
Remember it's not just survival but quality of life. Do you like coffee- then keep some in store. Deodorant /soap / tooth paste. Herbs/spices to add flavour?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Everything is catalogued date wise and all basics like coffee etc are covered.

Also have the means to "wash" without water (large quantity of wet wipes & baby wipes, anti - fungal talc and so on):D

·
Registered
12,405 Posts
'The machines are going to fail'.

A line from Deliverance that was televised with the signing man in the bottom right hand corner the weekend before last.

·
Registered
926 Posts
if it all went "28 Days Later" the house wouldnt be the best/safest option so where would you head?

We talked about this a while back in the pub (aint beer great!!!) I thought hartside cafe,

1) It already has supplies
2) A water source & electrical generator
3) Bloody remote so could be defended

1 - 20 of 135 Posts