Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've got a pair of 156 GTA upright and a set of 4-pot brembo from a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo, and a pair of new 305mm discs. I want to fit these to my existing 2.0TS 156.

I've also got a set of 17" GTA rims for the fitment. I know the wheel bearing for 2.0TS needs to be swapped to the GTA upright.

However, my workshop told me the 17" rim can't avoid the brembos - a spacer of 15mm is required to fit, that is totally out of my expectation.

Anyone can share if this can be successful?

Thanks!

·
Vendor
45,442 Posts
Are you sure they are GTA rims, and not standard 17" wheels? Can you post a pic of them?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I'd have said the Gta wheels should clear the calipers but I've only done this conversion using 305mm brembos from a Gta.

As pud has suggested, are you sure that you are using genuine Gta wheels?

·
Vendor
45,442 Posts
Are they genuine or replica? They should fit, they leave a few mm clearance. I was always under the impression the Fiat Coupe 20vt brake calipers were exactly the same as GTV V6 & early 156/147 GTA.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure they're genuine.
The brembos from Coupe 20Vt are the same as for 156 GTA and GTV V6.
I'm scratching my head all round, don't know what is wrong. So asking if there is anyone who succeeded in going this route.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
When I bought my racer it had GTA mags, the early GTA brembo's with GTA uprights 305mm discs on my 2.0 TS. The ends of the brembos where shaven off a bit. I am not sure all the reasoning around why the guys did it... but you can see the GTV mags fit with better clearances.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Gertie. Do you need any spacer to clear the calipers?
My problem is the GTA rims can't clear with the Brembos.
Maybe cutting off the face of the calipers is to make the clearance?
I just feel too strange for my failed fitment.... The height and thickness of the disc and the mounting position of the calipers can't be altered. I have no idea where does the difference come from.

Cheers.

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Thanks Gertie. Do you need any spacer to clear the calipers?
My problem is the GTA rims can't clear with the Brembos.
Maybe cutting off the face of the calipers is to make the clearance?
I just feel too strange for my failed fitment.... The height and thickness of the disc and the mounting position of the calipers can't be altered. I have no idea where does the difference come from.

Cheers.
I don't have the true reasoning for the caliper shave, I think it was for fitment.

I don't have the GTA wheels anymore, I can't do a test fit again soon without borrowing a wheel somewhere.

The truth stays, right now YOUR wheels do not clear YOUR calipers, thus YOU need a fix : fit spacers :thumbs: But I'm sure 5mm will do the trick

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Really don't understand why the Gta alloys won't clear the calipers but perhaps it has something to do with the twin spark hubs?

Moving on, you may also need different track rods. I found that Gta uprights require a longer ones, I used 3.0 166 track rods as they're the same as the ones fitted to Gta's. In my case however, I was using a Gta steering rack and trying to use the standard v6 track rods as the rack I'd bought didn't come with the Gta track rods.

No idea where you'd be at with a tspark rack and Gta uprights...

·
Registered
6,002 Posts
Really don't understand why the Gta alloys won't clear the calipers but perhaps it has something to do with the twin spark hubs?
I think you might have hit the nail on the head :thumbs: Offset...
Moving on, you may also need different track rods. I found that Gta uprights require a longer ones, I used 3.0 166 track rods as they're the same as the ones fitted to Gta's. In my case however, I was using a Gta steering rack and trying to use the standard v6 track rods as the rack I'd bought didn't come with the Gta track rods.

No idea where you'd be at with a tspark rack and Gta uprights...
Track rods are OK as is. When you fit the GTA uprights - you just end up with SERIOUS toe in that you cannot drive the car for alignment - first set the alignment yourself as close to straight you can, then drive very carefully to your favorite alignment shop to reset the toe to 0 :thumbs:

·
Vendor
45,442 Posts
Twinspark hubs are supposedly 3mm thicker than GTA ones, so a TS with GTA wheels actually has a wider track than a GTA..

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Track rods are OK as is. When you fit the GTA uprights - you just end up with SERIOUS toe in that you cannot drive the car for alignment - first set the alignment yourself as close to straight you can, then drive very carefully to your favorite alignment shop to reset the toe to 0 :thumbs:
The v6 track rods work to a degree but I found that there wasn't much in the way of thread going into the track rod from the rack and being safety critical, I decided not to argue with Alfa and used the correct part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts