Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, It is my wifes birthday next month, and she has expressed a very keen interest in getting a new camera.
Now then, I do know that she seems to want 10+ OPTICAL zoom and not digital zoom. Apart from that I am in the dark.
She took me by surprise, as I have already booked a night time "ghost hunt" for her, (She's into this sort of ****).
But me being me, am going to get the camera too. Now then, I'm looking at spending sub 200 quid...Can any of you true photographers give me any pointers please??

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
I wouldn't say I was a true photographer but if it was me I would look at the Panasonic TZ range.

I have a TZ8 here which I use as backup to my DSLR and it is excellent.

The latest TZ30 has a backside illuminated CMOS sensors (better in low light) and has 20x optical zoom, all in a compact size.

They are about £175 new.

Some people like bridge cameras, but for me they are a bad compromise. They have a large physical size like a DSLR so won't fit into your pocket/bag, but they have none of the benefits such as a larger sensor, interchangeable lenses etc. Allthough some offer a big zoom for your money.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AAaaahhhh, sorry you have just reminded me...It's DSLR she is after. I forgot as unfortunately, I know nothing about these things.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Why dont you try the technology section of the site, many many threads to answer your question. £200 aint gonna go far brand new though, and you have to careful buying secondhand cameras.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a great idea, and I wonder how I can get the thread moved there?

·
Registered
37,353 Posts
For an entry DSLR you are looking about £250 upwards, however this will have a kit lens which are normally 18-55mm

You will have to pay extra for a zoom lens.

You will probably be better going for a model that has just been replaced, like the Nikon D3100 as they tend to be a lot cheaper than they were originally new, but are quite a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
With a 10+ zoom you would have to look at a bridge camera. They look a bit like a dslr but the lens is fixed. They get these amazing zoom ranges by using a smaller ccd so the image quality is not quite as good at the extremes of exposure as a dslr, but to get that sort of range on a dslr you would be shelling out for 2 or 3 lenses in addition to the body and a sight more than £200. However unless you are planning for pro use or huge prints the quality is fine.

I've been using a 12x Canon S3is for years now (it's discontinued), but there are a number of replacements in your price range. I am a fan of Canons having been using them since about 1978. They currently have one with a 50x zoom, SX50 HS, for around £300 and a smaller 30x, SX500, around the £200 mark.

Have a look at this review site Home | PhotographyBLOG

·
Administrator
45,154 Posts
Thats a great idea, and I wonder how I can get the thread moved there?
Just hope that a passing mod sees your post saying that. ;)

·
Registered
5,473 Posts

·
Registered
5,473 Posts

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
excuse me for hi-jacking, but im looking for a camera too: sub £75 would be brill.

just needed for decent holiday pics :)

With a 10+ zoom you would have to look at a bridge camera. They look a bit like a dslr but the lens is fixed.
I've recently bought cameras in both of those categories! For me, the market is somewhat limited as I have two basic criteria which any camera must meet. Firstly, it must have a viewfinder, as I find LCD screens unusable in bright sunlight. Secondly, it must use AA batteries. Dedicated Li-ion batteries make for a much more compact camera, but their life is limited & spares are expensive; a typical Li-ion has a capacity around 1200mAh, while AA rechargeables can be 2700 or more, that's 5400 for a pair. Another advantage of AA's is that if your batteries run flat away from a convenient power supply you can get "normal" batteries just about anywhere.

For the cheap camera I use a Canon A1300. 5x optical zoom, small enough to fit in a pocket & reasonable picture quality. Nothing special, not a camera for the "serious" photographer, but great for holidays & cheap enough not to worry about dropping it or losing it. The newer A1400 is available under £75.

For the "bridge" camera I bought a Pentax X-5 - "only" 26x optical zoom. I haven't had it long enough to do any serious photography with it, but early results look good. It has a good quality feel to it & the controls are the best I've had on a digital camera - the most-used functions are immediately accessible. Good value for £150.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks very much for your input guys, thats given me some ammo to start looking and I'' certainly look at the models suggested. cheers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts