Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... there is perfect example for sale in my home countryAlfa 164 q4 advert . May I believe is the best condition one alive ? Lengthy text on the advert describes the restoration process and work done. Could be probably translated into English with Google translate. If anyone is interested i will go and pick it up for you! Just for the pleasure of driving it back :inlove:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Very nice. Prefer the original style wheels though. Reminds me of my perfect 164 QV - so perfect that it set itself alight in 2007!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Still hurts Munkle?

I dont like those new alloys hes put on, the Clover alloys make the car!

Hows your 166? Any news on selling it, or you keeping it for now?

·
Registered
788 Posts
164 for sale.

What a lovely car!
It always surprises how low the survival rate of 164s' is in this country,in its' day
it was a much sought after car and sold much better than the 166,and had quite a long
production run,its' contemporary the Saab 9000 ,which I believe it shared its' development
with has fared much better and is still relatively common,there are always a few nice
examples still for sale!

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I wouldn't say rust, except for maybe the rear sub frame. In my case it was the lack of spares that meant I couldn't have it as a daily driver.

·
Registered
788 Posts
164 for sale

I think you are right Niall,rusty rear subframes and pretty dodgy electrics,I think the body
was galvanised though?

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
it was but it still rusted....the arches were well gone on the one i had and the jacking points were already patched up....the front was getting pretty bad as well with the MOT tester commenting that it was all a bit "crunchy" when they were testing the suspension/steering.

·
Registered
788 Posts
164 for sale

Developing this thread a bit further the Lancia Thema and Fiat Croma actually shared
some body parts ,as well as the "type 4 chassis" with the Saab 9000 saloon,and when did
you last see one of those,the Thema was expensive for its' time and was considered on
a par with the Saab,sadly Italian build quality was to prove otherwise.
Getting away from this what about these Chrysler based Lancias,I remember some talk
about Lancia being marketed in the UK,but as a Chrysler?

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
The three I had were virtually rust-free, it was just the subframes that I had to replace on two of them. One of them even got a comment from an mot tester about how rust free it was.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well my 164 is rust free and soon to be fitted with cloverleaf bodykit and fully resprayed after those rust stories i think i will hide it in garage after all! BTW still no buyers for this 164 ? If i had read the description properly it could be picked up from London as well. Is it well priced tho ? £6k ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Local garage also commented how rust-free (even behind the trim bits) my '96 TS Super is. Close examination reveals the answer/problem - (I've also had 2 brand new 156's, and one secondhand and examined them all carefully, but more of that later.)

With the type 4 Alfa body, the galvanising was relatively thick, and the later paintwork discipline pretty good as well. The problem, as shown by other folks with greater experience here, was sacrificial corrosion. In short, bolting thinly protected (non-galvie) ms subframe assemblies and the like to the shell caused all sorts of problems (in Scotland and beyond!) Added to that the fact that a lot of the steel used, hubs, brakes etc was at various stages not the best, and you have a real curate's egg - check the original wishbones on any 164 and you see the problem in miniature.

Now - 156's - don't! Both my new ones - 1998, 2000, were showing some odd things after a year or 2. In 2009 after having to weld the floorpan on my '51 reg 1.8 TS (low miles, 7.5 years) I realised things were not right.

Just not putting 'Super' out on the road this winter tho' :)

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
I've had to have some rust removed and repaired on my 156.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Still hurts Munkle?

I dont like those new alloys hes put on, the Clover alloys make the car!

Hows your 166? Any news on selling it, or you keeping it for now?
Hi mate,

The 166 is going really well. I decided to keep the car as I got a lot of interest but only really from dreamers and timewasters. It's been serviced etc and will probably try again in the new year once the cam belt is due. I can then sell it with a newly replaced cam belt which will be a big benefit. Trust me though, I'm in no hurry to sell. It's a hateful process which seems to attract some right plonkers!

UM

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
I'm in the same boat, not fussed about getting rid, but if someone is after a dream 166 at the right price I'll sell.

I fancy. 3.2 Gt, but will prob end up with a jtd 147 with a FULL inside and outside GTA kit.

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
Underneath. Sills I think, not exactly sure as I never saw it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts