Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been putting castrol 10-40 semi in my v6, but what gets me is that i bought the car in may with 33600 miles and now with 35000 miles it never really needed topping up is this right?
i keep hearing how they use a lot of oil well it aint a lot if thats what they use, am i right or is there anything wrong?

should i be filling it to the top line or not, everytime i look at it its in the middle of the 2 marks

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QC Launch Edition
257 Posts
Every single engine seems to differ in it's oil consumption. Don't worry if yours isn't using as much as you expect. But do keep an eye on it.

Also, can anyone confirm the best time to check oil levels? Hot or cold engine?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i stick to the same everytime i check, so either cold or after engines been on 10 mins (warm), i hope sum1 can let me no bout the markings on the stick question i have dnt no were its meant to show in order to be full

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
As far as I understand it, oil expands when heated. So if you check the oil after running the engine, the level should be slightly higher than when it's cold. I'm not sure if this makes a great deal of difference but I think in the manual they advise to do it after the engine has been running and standing for over 10 minutes (to let oil get back down to the sump).

Either way it should be checked when all the oil has drained down, otherwise surely the reading will be too high.

edit: If manufacturers specify a min / max mark, surely if you do it after it's been running (oil warm) and fill it to the max mark then it will not be too high and not too low.. :)

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
For the record, mine is at the MAX mark: the top of the two lines, when cold, and I only check it when it's cold.

Mine doesn't use a drop, but now I've said that I'm going to check it tomorrow morning!

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
As far as I understand it, oil expands when heated. So if you check the oil after running the engine, the level should be slightly higher than when it's cold. I'm not sure if this makes a great deal of difference but I think in the manual they advise to do it after the engine has been running and standing for over 10 minutes (to let oil get back down to the sump).

Either way it should be checked when all the oil has drained down, otherwise surely the reading will be too high.

edit: If manufacturers specify a min / max mark, surely if you do it after it's been running (oil warm) and fill it to the max mark then it will not be too high and not too low.. :)
just read this - what he said !!

·
Registered
285 Posts
The markings on the dipstick should be min - max which is normally 1 litre exactly....

Talking of oil, its time for a change on my V6 - any suggestions on what oil and filter to use?

Thanks
Gareth

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
i used just a partco filter but went out and bought selenia, always try to use it if pos, and my local sells it at quite a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The V6 generally doesn't use much oil, the twinsparks do though :)

·
Registered
Alfa Romeo Giulietta QC Launch Edition
257 Posts
My '98 2.0 T.Spark hasn't used a drop of oil in 7 months. Actually, neither has my Dad's 2000, 1.8TS.

They are both checked weekly and fed with Selenia.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i buy selenia after my car has an oil service as ive been using castrol and the previous owner has halfords in it so i think it be a good idea to start from the service onwards with selenia.

as someone who studied marketing i cant help but feel its all a rip off with this whole selenia thing but hey im buying a can 2moro

A

·
0 Posts
i buy selenia after my car has an oil service as ive been using castrol and the previous owner has halfords in it so i think it be a good idea to start from the service onwards with selenia.

as someone who studied marketing i cant help but feel its all a rip off with this whole selenia thing but hey im buying a can 2moro
It's not a rip off, it's just Fiat promoting a product that they have a financial interest in. The fact is that Selenia is no better or worse than any other oil of the correct spec. Anyone without the knowledge to choose the correct spec from an alternative manufacturer would be safer to stick with the handbook recommendations.
You don't see oil discussions on other forums on the same scale that you do on Alfa forums. For instance, I've never heard of a Jaguar owner saying they will only use Havoline because thats what they use in the factory.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts