Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody heard anything on the supposedly upcoming Brera GTA? I'm thinking of replacing my 2004 156 GTA and the Brera GTA would (probably) be perfect. Rumour says a 2007 launch and if that is correct, I'm guessing a first presentation at the Geneva Motor Show in March and launch i Sept/Oct. If someone can confirm that the GTA will be shown there, I will certainly go -- and most likely place an order if possible :)

....Also, does anybody know how many 156 GTA has been sold in total (worldwide)?

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
Don't think there will be anything this year. First and foremost we'd be reading something about it in the mags, but no news have been forthcoming for a long time.

Secondly the Brera and 159 are undergoing a weight reduction programme that will take probably a year or so, therefore I assume no GTA will be launched before that's done.

I hope to be proven wrong.

·
Registered
307 Posts
The weight reduction is definitely on the cards. A 159 or Brera GTA without 300 kg knocked off the kerb weight would be pointless. I think 1400kg, (rear biased) four wheel drive, and 350-400bhp should do it!

·
Registered
821 Posts
They'd have to be blind, deaf and stupid not to have. It is the major critcism coming from just about every single review and article about the Brera and 159 in the media, even those from the less economy-concious USA!

:rant:

·
Registered
16,710 Posts
I think there was somthing in theis months AROC magazine, which said the Brera was going on a diet and would loose 180 kg through the use of a carbon fibre roof etc - but that wouldn't be until 2008 :(

·
Registered
821 Posts
So long as build quality doesn't get thrown out with the weight? We wait to see... :tut:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Interesting if they're planning the weight loss by just throwing on a carbon fibre roof etc. All other cars manage to get by with steel roofs - I'd have thought the Brera's extra weight would be in the platform and that's where they'd need to remove it from. That would explain why it's set to take them a year or two to knock off a measly 100kg.
If they put a carbon fibre roof on the Brera to get its weight down, they'll still have the same weight issue for the next cars they make on the same platform.

Get the weight out of the chassis/suspension design, then also add a carbon fibre roof, lightweight alloys, carpets etc on the GTA model.

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
I think you're spot on Ben. Given the longish time frame for the supposed weight reduction programme on the 159/Brera (two steps, one year apart), I believe AR is working on the platform itself.

Only time will tell.

·
Registered
895 Posts
The carbon fibre roof will not only reduce overall weight, it will also considerably lower the car's center of gravity, and that will make a big difference in handling.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I very much doubt there will be a carbon roof on the standard models, surely only for the GTA. Carbon roofs are expensive, and normally at the later stage of weight tuning, after having replaced the current ridiculously oversized and overweight suspension and steering components.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Trailbraker said:
I very much doubt there will be a carbon roof on the standard models, surely only for the GTA.
I think you're right. Italiaspeed.com has been reporting for a while (certainly as far back as August last year) that the GTA would have a carbonfibre roof and more aluminium bits than the standard Brera, and that was before there was any talk of a weight-loss program for the standard car.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
The 159 body in white is lighter than that of the 156, yet the finished cars are 200KG heavier.

so the weight is not going to come out of the chassis....

·
Registered
274 Posts
I think you're right. Italiaspeed.com has been reporting for a while (certainly as far back as August last year) that the GTA would have a carbonfibre roof and more aluminium bits than the standard Brera, and that was before there was any talk of a weight-loss program for the standard car.
and also they say that GTA will be jst 180 KG lighter :( good news but GTA should be even more lighter, imho

btw, when on spec is written 1740KG, does that mean fuel is added to this number???? Alfa's fuel tank capacity is bigger that BMWs

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
as I understand, all weights shown by manufacturers are the DRY weights unless otherwise stated.

ie no fuel, oil, coolant etc.

not even the 1/2 full bottle of Lambrusco left in the spare wheel section on a friday afternoon car !

1 - 20 of 20 Posts