Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, if u have any products I could buy to make my 159 (2.2l '06) look any better for interior and exterior let me know.

Want the car to look modern. Also any way to get slidey LED indicators on the side and rear like the audi.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
There have always been attempts to make cars 'more modern', IMO each fail, making the car look errr wrong. The car looks great as it is, the only thing you might do is to add some 18" horsehoes wheels or the Ti type 19" or even the 18" version. Sometimes you see, less is more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I get what the OPs trying to. Just no tacky Halfeauds/fleabay add one please. 18" or 19" wheels with a slightly lowered stance on the struts are the thing I think changes the stance and look for the better( unless you already have a ti).

I think adding a front splitter to the bumper adds depth. Inside leave well alone unless you add a modern double din headunit/satnav.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Start with the best automotive design ever and add extra shapes and lines to ruin it.
Making it different almost always makes it worse. Shape and Form are a hard act to get right. When you break a surface with an extra line you have to know whether you are drawing the eye to create length or cutting the apparent width. Just look at these two pictures of Hondas. The old thinking with too many lines cutting the shapes and the new electric with purity of shapes. Off course the new is compromised. They can only get that purity by reducing the boot to the smallest on the market
Civic.jpg
Urban.jpg

·
Registered
33,664 Posts
For example , the theme for the lamps , front and rear, is a timeless colllection of circles so introducing a linear Audi feature does nothing to further the original idea.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I prefer the Civic...the electric one is too over simplified. Bet it does not look like that by the time it reaches production...and certainly not by the time it's for sale in the UK. Generally I find that over simple, smooth designed cars age far faster than more edgey designs. Look at the Sierra and the first Mondeos....they look so much older than cars made at the same time with more edges and lines. To my eye the GTV/916 looks far fresher than the last of the 147s on their more rinsed guise fur that very reason. Of course is very much down to personal taste....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Jesus, that first Honda looks like it designed by schoolboys. MORE BITS. EVERYWHERE!
But I guess their market is for boy (and man) racers.

I think lamps (front and rear) are a big differentiator between brand new and older cars. It's always been a go-to mod for people to try and update their look.

Personally I think the 159 front lamps are pure art and haven't been equaled for cool. The visual cues from another timeless Alfa - the Montreal - are obvious. You know where there's a 159 behind you instead of a common-or-garden [insert German marque here].

The rear lamps are cool too, but I'd have to say, for me, are also the only thing to date the car in any way. Sliding indicators are a cool effect, but it's a mod too far on a 159.

·
Registered
7,130 Posts

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I prefer the Civic...the electric one is too over simplified. Bet it does not look like that by the time it reaches production...and certainly not by the time it's for sale in the UK. Generally I find that over simple, smooth designed cars age far faster than more edgey designs. Look at the Sierra and the first Mondeos....they look so much older than cars made at the same time with more edges and lines. To my eye the GTV/916 looks far fresher than the last of the 147s on their more rinsed guise fur that very reason. Of course is very much down to personal taste....
And I thought your comments on the ugly 159 conversions were ironic! Clearly you do like multiple surfaces but calling them 'subtle' is an abuse of the word

·
Registered
33,664 Posts
Looking at cars generally classed as classic or collectible they generally have curves like Beetles , Etypes, MGBs , Minis , Alfa 8C. There don’t appear to be many classics with sharp edges. The Honda EV has a similar friendly shape.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bertone, amongst other beg to disagree!

The original LP400 (Countach), Lancia Fulvia, Lotus Esprit, Lancia Stratos, BMW 3.0 CSI... game changers.

Some curvy cars are classic just because of the badge they wear, others because their shape is timeless.

·
Registered
33,664 Posts
The Espirit (by Ital Design) was quite flat and pointy but the other cars had much fuller forms. Edges,yes but not like the 159.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think it's less to do with the edges but the form.

That civic has no intrinsic beauty. Yeah, it looks all edgy, but that is dressing to hide a spectacularly boring shape. If the designers have to tack all that crap on they've failed.

Like a beautiful woman, a great design will look beautiful without trying too hard. I like the clean look of that EV, as I like the elegenge of a 159 unadulterated with body kits.

·
Registered
33,664 Posts
The way the rear door window frame and sail panel relates to the C pillar bugs me though.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
And I thought your comments on the ugly 159 conversions were ironic! Clearly you do like multiple surfaces but calling them 'subtle' is an abuse of the word
No...I really dislike both of those modified 159s....just to be absolutely clear. The bottom one being slightly more bearable than the top.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts