Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a Clarke 100en turbo mig welder since the early 2000's and it's never been used with much anger, the times it has it's been shocking based on me! Wondered if anyone would fancy having a blast and to see what they think of it, possibly sharing some tips for a decent weld?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hey,

I am not near you but am doing mechanical engineering at college the now and done some mig welding. not a pro by a log shot but am okay.

what do the welds you are producing look like?

Are you using a gas? I use argoshield at work and argoshield light at college. Both on a flow rate of around 14lpm. What are you welding?

At work for about 3mm steel its at a setting of 4 with a wire speed of around 4/4.5

Had a Clarke 100en turbo mig welder since the early 2000's and it's never been used with much anger, the times it has it's been shocking based on me! Wondered if anyone would fancy having a blast and to see what they think of it, possibly sharing some tips for a decent weld?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey,

I am not near you but am doing mechanical engineering at college the now and done some mig welding. not a pro by a log shot but am okay.

what do the welds you are producing look like?

Are you using a gas? I use argoshield at work and argoshield light at college. Both on a flow rate of around 14lpm. What are you welding?

At work for about 3mm steel its at a setting of 4 with a wire speed of around 4/4.5
Hi I've never used the gas option to date, all I want to do is cut open and close up an exhaust silencer. From memory the flow was spluttery and the welds fR from neat! I'd love to see it produce some good runs by an experienced hand so I can take something away from it

·
Registered
672 Posts
You push the torch using MIG, And pull it towards you using MMA. Torch angle 80-90 degrees. hope this helps. ex professional Plater.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Hi I've never used the gas option to date, all I want to do is cut open and close up an exhaust silencer. From memory the flow was spluttery and the welds fR from neat! I'd love to see it produce some good runs by an experienced hand so I can take something away from it
Sounds to me like its getting atmospheric contamination. You will be able to weld without a gas but dont know if you will be able to get a good run with it unless its flux cored wire?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You push the torch using MIG, And pull it towards you using MMA. Torch angle 80-90 degrees. hope this helps. ex professional Plater.
Happy days, it was a real long time ago but I bet the house I was doing this the wrong way around. Not sure what mma is but I did a bit of arc welding at college could I have been using this method which does not translate to mig?

It is indeed flux cored wire, pretty sure the kit is all correct, just a clown operating it!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Happy days, it was a real long time ago but I bet the house I was doing this the wrong way around. Not sure what mma is but I did a bit of arc welding at college could I have been using this method which does not translate to mig?

It is indeed flux cored wire, pretty sure the kit is all correct, just a clown operating it!
MMA= Manual metal Arc or "stick" welding. They look like sparklers, coating on the rods is the flux

1 - 9 of 9 Posts