Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Chatz can be convinced to give me a loan car tomorrow? The JTDm is going in for what I think is a replacement clutch master cylinder. I live quite far away from Chatz and my girlfriend won't be able to lift me if it takes more than a day to fix so a car would be a lifesaver.

Who's the best person at Chatz to speak to?

·
Regional Representative, For South Africa - AO-SA
5,467 Posts
Jimmy, or the salesman that sold you the car.....
I get courtesy cars without a problem, but only when the car is in for repairs, not for services.....

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
they will drop you at home and pick you up in special cases

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They droppped me off at the office this morning. Most dealers offer a drop off and pickup service as far as I know. The problem would be getting about tomorrow if my car isn't fixed today.

Chatz computer systems have been down since yesterday and Motorite won't authorise the repair without seeing the complete, detailed service history. Apparently the stamps in the book aren't good enough.:mad:

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
i hate motorite

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm starting to hate them too. Master and slave cylinder aren't in stock so my car won't be ready until Thursday.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pedal started going soft yesterday and taking right on the floor.

I think the clutch system in the JTD is quite different to the one in the TS. The JTD has lots of problems with very a heavy/stiff pedal when the bushes seize.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Ah alright. Not the same issue then.

Yeah, I just did a search for the creaky clutch problem and it generated hundreds of results. Seems like the creaking is a common issue and the only way to get rid of it completely is to replace the master cylinder which is costly. I'm gonna try spraying some silicone spray this weekend and see if it helps at all.

·
Registered
938 Posts
creaky clutch is also caused by the rubber on the link being old and dry,rubber crease for that and silicone for the rest of the connections and should be shorted it takes a while for the rubber grease to soften the rubber but it works mine is like new

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chatz is still waiting for the clutch slave cylinder that they've ordered to arrive. Apparently my car MIGHT be ready tomorrow now. Originally I was told it would be today.

This is what grates me about owning an Alfa.....the wait for parts, doesn't matter if it's covered by warranty or not. I'm an enterprise IT engineer and we get slaughtered if we don't have Severity 1 (mission critical) parts in stock at all times. 3 days to deliver a part is nonsense especially from a local warehouse, especially as the order was placed at 8am yesterday.

I flipping need my car for work and I'm left hanging. What do they do with the Fiat LDV's when it's a revenue earning vehicle for the customer?

·
Registered
763 Posts
All motor manufacturers these days have central warehouses and distribute from there. So all dealerships have this wait period for spares. This started happening with computer companies in the early 2000's already. If a part is not a high volume part it gets kept at central warehouse where ever that maybe. Of a company like IBM its in Europe. So if a system goes down and the parts not available it gets flown in over night and per cleared for customs. .

But then on the other hand build in redundancy in system help they they don't fall over dead so its a change that companies like IBM can take. The redundancy of a car is a second car.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
All motor manufacturers these days have central warehouses and distribute from there. So all dealerships have this wait period for spares. This started happening with computer companies in the early 2000's already. If a part is not a high volume part it gets kept at central warehouse where ever that maybe. Of a company like IBM its in Europe. So if a system goes down and the parts not available it gets flown in over night and per cleared for customs. .

But then on the other hand build in redundancy in system help they they don't fall over dead so its a change that companies like IBM can take. The redundancy of a car is a second car.
I work for IBM business partner (funny you mentioned them) and that's true to a point. We can get critical parts from IBM Amsterdam and through customs in 3 days. Yes there is redundancy built-in but we do see multiple failures on occasion (usually when the machine runs too hot for an extended period or a voltage spike) Clients often get very anxious when their production machine is running on the redundant part only.

I need another Spider as my 'redundant' car

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Chatz is still waiting for the clutch slave cylinder that they've ordered to arrive. Apparently my car MIGHT be ready tomorrow now. Originally I was told it would be today.

This is what grates me about owning an Alfa.....the wait for parts, doesn't matter if it's covered by warranty or not. I'm an enterprise IT engineer and we get slaughtered if we don't have Severity 1 (mission critical) parts in stock at all times. 3 days to deliver a part is nonsense especially from a local warehouse, especially as the order was placed at 8am yesterday.

I flipping need my car for work and I'm left hanging. What do they do with the Fiat LDV's when it's a revenue earning vehicle for the customer?
Scratch that...I've got the car back. Must be a Chatz spy on here:lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I hate the current part ordering and delivery system..

Dealers order parts, and as and when parts are available they are sent to dealers who gets delivery of parts twice a day (an 8am delivery and then a 2pm delivery). Well for the Gauteng dealers it works like this..

But it does add some extra time on the expected service times.. Cambelt under warranty takes at least a day to order and deliver and then another day for replacement., so if there is any hold up your car is stuck for at least 3 days

1 - 16 of 16 Posts