Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been approached by a salesman offering far cheaper rental and transaction costs than I'm presently paying to Barclaycard.

I hadn't heard of Handepay though and wondered if anyone was using them?

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks ADF. The link didn't work, but it prompted me to do some digging. A lot of the things people are complaining about (long contracts especially) aren't applicable because they've offered me an 11 month contract which will roll if I want it to, but that I can stop with a month's notice. I've read the T&C with a magnifying glass :lol: It looks OK.

I've spoken to Barclaycard and I'm no longer contracted to them and they have offered to reduce the terminal hire costs which might be enough as it's lower than Handepay's offer!

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I expect the Banks have, as usual, been making a mint out of these things for years - so even if the Handepays of this world are shonky - they will at least force the main suppliers of Merchant terminals to revisit their pricing.

Market dynamics. Gotta love 'em....

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually it's making me sit down and really assess the additional charges Barclaycard are making. I'm paying a 'data security fee' on top of my other charges because I did my PCI DSS compliance through them. If I'm reading this all correctly I can do this myself and upload any compliance certificates and save on the £2.88 extra I'm paying a month.

Every little helps :)

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you know that it's actually cheaper for me not to accept cash? I get charged for every cash transaction I make, but I'm not charged for cashless banking!

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm, OK I just rang up Barclaycard, struggled to understand the girl on the end of the line, but basically I'm paying the PCI DSS card "just because" :lol: The fact that Handepay aren't going to charge me a dime and just need know that I am data secure through the compliance test I did before Christmas wasn't washing with her and she's palmed me off to the Data Security Manager.

If I've been paying for something I didn't need to, I want some money back!

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hmmm, OK I just rang up Barclaycard, struggled to understand the girl on the end of the line, but basically I'm paying the PCI DSS card "just because" :lol: The fact that Handepay aren't going to charge me a dime and just need know that I am data secure through the compliance test I did before Christmas wasn't washing with her and she's palmed me off to the Data Security Manager.

If I've been paying for something I didn't need to, I want some money back!
I had exactly the same situation recently when I spotted this mysterious item on the monthly bill - turned out that all it took was a phone call to them and completing a form for this fee to be removed from future bills - mind you; you were getting off lightly if Barclaycard were only charging £2.88 - Streamline were charging £5 a month!

Re paying cash in - we have a cheeky little set-up where we have two accounts with the Bank; one is the normal Business Account and the other is a 'Tax Account' (supposedly to accrue the money due to the VATman). We pay everything into the Tax Account and then transfer it to the Business Account because like you, we have free electronic payments/transfers. You gotta play these boys at their own game sometimes to avoid punitive charges :thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had exactly the same situation recently when I spotted this mysterious item on the monthly bill - turned out that all it took was a phone call to them and completing a form for this fee to be removed from future bills - mind you; you were getting off lightly if Barclaycard were only charging £2.88 - Streamline were charging £5 a month!

Re paying cash in - we have a cheeky little set-up where we have two accounts with the Bank; one is the normal Business Account and the other is a 'Tax Account' (supposedly to accrue the money due to the VATman). We pay everything into the Tax Account and then transfer it to the Business Account because like you, we have free electronic payments/transfers. You gotta play these boys at their own game sometimes to avoid punitive charges :thumbs:
Interesting, on both points! Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Look into gocardless.com - straight forward pricing model
I'll have a look. Thank you :)

I've also joined this http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk to try and get some advice.

Edit: Sorry, I don't think you've understood. I have a card machine in my gallery which I'm looking to change suppliers for :) I can't set up direct debits for payments.

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
I need to look into this as well, PG - as I'm more semi-retired now the number of transactions I do on my card machine are pretty low, but of course that means the standing charges are disproportionately high.......with so many people on Paypal I may well look to ditch the card machine (which I initially got via the FSB...though I'm no longer a member of them - again solely because I couldn't justify the subs...I think they are a good organisation.

Happy to let you do the research ;) ........... :)

·
Registered
972 Posts
Interesting, on both points! Thank you!
The only word of caution I would add though (re the two Bank Accounts) is that a transfer into the Business Account won't be viewed as cashflow income from the Bank's point of view - which means you'll struggle to raise a loan against the business (if that's relevant to you).

·
Super Moderator
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks John, it's not a great deal of money and no, I'm unlikely to ever ask for a loan :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts