Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A tire change is coming up for me pretty soon (especially if I am going to the Ring :) ).

My (simple?) question is: is there a better tire than the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 from these requirements?

*Optimal dry grip for hard country side road driving (B-roads as I think you call them in the UK). Hence, it should not be necessary to heat them up to temp levels impossible to reach in public road driving.
*Really good grip even at low temps (i.e. good for day to day driving)
*Should be able to handle the GTA at track days and not overheat.
*Longetivity
*Better than catastrophic wet grip :)

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
I'd personally go for Toyo Proxes T1R as a decent performance tyre.

OA

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
on my gtv i've had proxy t1r's good grip a little noise but boy less than 12 mths spirited motoring and they were gone. before that goodyear eagle f1's they lasted a bit longer. but surely if its a trip to the ring it wont matter what you use by the time you get there and back and thrash the pants off them at the track they will be buggered anyway!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I swear by Michelin, but a mate at work has a souped up Focus RS. He goes to the Ring several times a year and recommends the Yoko Parada. Not sure if anyone else with an Alfa can comment?? Worth investigating.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Fοr me also yokahama parada.
The best from Mps2, G.year f1, Dunlop smax, brid. 050.
Super on dry and very good on wet.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Let us know what you end up getting and what you think of the tyre.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I love the Bridgestone Potenza RE 070. Ticks all your boxes, only downs are noise and tendency to tramline.

Yoko Parada is rated for lighter cars, not sure how good for a GTA??

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I don't think Sportmaxx are regarded as being as good as the PS2.
A good road tyre though.

BTW The Ring isn't really that hard on tyres compared to a track day in my experience.
I did need to inflate my front tyres more than for my local track to protect the sidewalls from scrubbing due to the very high cornering speeds under load (fugplatz, platntzgarten, Eschbach, Eis curve etc), but they just don't get the same heat soak as a typical track due to the fast and fluid nature of the ring.

Cheers,
TB

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Having had pax laps with Vamos I can confirm that those Bridgestones gripped very well when I was in his car!
I would be tempted to try them as my next dual purpose tyre (road/track).

Cheers,
TB

I love the Bridgestone Potenza RE 070. Ticks all your boxes, only downs are noise and tendency to tramline.

Yoko Parada is rated for lighter cars, not sure how good for a GTA??

P

·
0 Posts
Very happy with PS2's on the GTA. Potenza 070 is probably as good or better in the dry, but perhaps not as good in the wet. The PS2'a are remarkably good in the wet.

Also very happy with Proxes TR-1 for street use, but they definitely get squirmy very quickly on smaller tracks. They too are very good in the wet BTW.

As TB says the Ring is not that demanding to the tires, especially if you are not very experienced there, so a relative inexpensive tyre like the Toyo TR-1 could make good sense!

I'm betting you know http://www.dackonline.se/ ? Otherwise they are an exellent place to buy tires from!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ive got the Potenza RE050 and they work very well on wet and are comfortable for every day use. Ive had them also on track in Spa and after 14 turns the rubber was really wet. Ive also noticed when i drive fast >200km/h they get very hot when i put my hands on the tyre.
cheers

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@vamos

Have you tried the PS2 also, so that you know what to compare with? ;)

@Peter

Sure, I know about them, and I have used them a couple of times. Excellent service and pricing! They do not seem to have the RE070 though, not in the Swedish web site or in the German.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
but those Yokohama's are a summer tyre only, so no good unless you change wheels and tyres for the winter here in the UK? Also see they do a parada 2 which according sounds interesting but say this:

Like all summer tires, PARADA Spec-2 tires are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

and this
As a result of the increase in grip, PARADA and PARADA Spec-2 tires cannot be mounted on the same axle. If mixed in axle pairs on a vehicle, PARADA Spec-2 tires must be used on the rear axle with the original Parada tires used on the front axle
I've used Continentals Contisport 2's for sometime now, and I am due 4 new tyres soon and I think I'll continue with them, do all I need and I am still here despite the weather!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
@vamos

Have you tried the PS2 also, so that you know what to compare with? ;)
I have had pax laps in TBs and Peter's cars with PS2 on them, but never had them on my car. PS2 is a good tyre though ;)

my previous tyres were Potenza RE 050 (significantly more pedestrian than 070, but less noisy) and GY F1 Eagles (good allrounder, but probably not as good as a PS2, and certainly not as good as RE 070)

I have also tried R888 around the ring on a rental Alfa 75 - that is a sweet tyre, but not practical for all round use.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have had pax laps in TBs and Peter's cars with PS2 on them, but never had them on my car. PS2 is a good tyre though ;)

my previous tyres were Potenza RE 050 (significantly more pedestrian than 070, but less noisy) and GY F1 Eagles (good allrounder, but probably not as good as a PS2, and certainly not as good as RE 070)

I have also tried R888 around the ring on a rental Alfa 75 - that is a sweet tyre, but not practical for all round use.
Since you've run both, how are the RE070's for noise vs the GY F1's?

The 159 loan car I had (running F1's) had far more tyre noise than my car (running P Zero Rossos). If the RE070's were noisier again than F1's then this might be an issue. I've stuck with Rossos as they are very refined and also have good feel and wear rates, but I expect 070's would be sticker...

How are 070's as a general-use road tyre.... Are they OK in the wet?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Since you've run both, how are the RE070's for noise vs the GY F1's?

The 159 loan car I had (running F1's) had far more tyre noise than my car (running P Zero Rossos). If the RE070's were noisier again than F1's then this might be an issue. I've stuck with Rossos as they are very refined and also have good feel and wear rates, but I expect 070's would be sticker...

How are 070's as a general-use road tyre.... Are they OK in the wet?
Yes, noisier than F1 GSD03. More prone to tramlining too. Other than that better than GSD 03 in every regard, including wet road, and better wear too. No problems for general use, unless you hate the noise. Much better on track, and that includes Nurburgring in the dry and wet. Extremely stiff sidewall means you can run relatively low tyre pressures, but does contribute to the noise.

@ Per - correct used by Subaru as OEM for Impreza (STI only). I have size 225/40 R17.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@vamos

I was apparently not informed correctly about the dimensions. What dimensions is the RE070 available in?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
not sure?? Looking around I can only find them in 225/45 R17 now, which is the size I have, but I am sure they make a R18 version.

I have also seen somewhere that Bridgestone have stopped making them, but the same guy also insisted that they are poor in the wet, which I know not to be true. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts