Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I spotted a nice silver 156 for sale which is a 2000, 1.6 with teledials and 75K on the clock..

My current car is a 2000, 156 TS in black with teledials and the high spoiler and a nice stainless steel exhaust and 112K on the clock.

What are the benefits or non-benefits to downgrading apart from the lower insurance and more mpg etc?

Does the 1.6 TS have smaller Teledials and are they thinner if so? The tyres on mine are 205,55,16 and I like them this way as they are nice and wide.

Thanks

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
Wheels & tyres will be the same.
MPG may not be much better.

The 1.6 will have smaller front brakes.

·
Vendor
46,595 Posts
It won't be much better on fuel to be honest, except maybe if you do a lot of town driving. On the motorways, it could be worse..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wheels & tyres will be the same.
MPG may not be much better.

The 1.6 will have smaller front brakes.
I was wondering that because I seen an older post of yours with the tyre size listings and the 1.6 was listed as coming in 2 sizes with teles.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/117107-official-tyre-size-for-156-a.html

Also, I love my exhaust, is it easily transferred to a 1.6 from my 2.0? If I took it to a garage say.

Any other differences or are they exactly the same apart from the engine and the front brakes?

·
Registered
30,252 Posts
There were different 15" sizes with the 15" Pepperpot alloys (185/65R15 or 205/60R15), but only one 16" size (205/55R16)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
You will notice a massive los of power, so use the revs. Take the exhaust with u, and get it custom fitted.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies,

Obviously the dream is to buy a 159 one day but it's a bit of a stretch right now so I can't justify it just yet.. So i'm staying with the 156s for the time being.

While browsing I was looking at 159s and found one in red.. I don't like red cars but I must say, even Alfa can make a red car look fantastic!

http://pictures2.autotrader.co.uk/imgser-uk/servlet/media?id=1779224319

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
We ran a 1.6 and a 2.0 back to back for 3 years and the 1.6 was 4mpg better and sounds better and is more rev happy.

You will notice a torque reduction, but the real performance difference is narrow.

Mine was a 2003 car with the bigger front and rear brakes, so cant comment on that (actually brakes were rotten from new!)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
It won't be much better on fuel to be honest, except maybe if you do a lot of town driving. On the motorways, it could be worse..
+1:thumbs:

Personally I'd look for a 1.8 as they are the best engine in TS guise

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well, The predicament I have is this, For my own Alfa, the 2.0 TS I need 2 upper wishes done on the front, 4 tyres and welding to one of the exhaust supports for it to pass the MOT.. The wiper motor is also on it's way out and I will need to replace that too, but that will go through MOT in it's current state.

I would say there would be additional costs on top of that because the rear wheels are wearing on the inside because the wheels are at too much of an angle.. So this is a balance issue I think? There's also an issue with the car having amazing power one day and the next its a slug, it's completely random.

Add to that my Tax is due at the end of the month.. So as you can see, with all the costs I'm facing I started looking for another one with MOT & TAX and in good condition with service history etc and I found one for £700.

I'm struggling to decide what to do as all the work + tax will cost almost as much as buying the other one which has 30K less on the clock but is a 1.6. I don't want to let my car go but then I feel I'm not being practical as it's not worth pouring so much into a car which has 112K on it and will probably start developing other issues soon.

Then there's the other issue of what I do with my own alfa if I buy this other one as I have nowhere to park it really once the tax runs out.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Nothing wrong with high mileage cars. Sounds pretty basic stuff TBH so I'd keep yours. the 70k er is due a belt at least if it hasbn't already been done plus variator change is about this time plus it's at that mileage where everything is worn out or getting due for replacement but no one has done it yet. People are scared of cars over 100k when usually if they reach this far it means they are a good un and will probably give many more miles good service.

·
Registered
9,601 Posts
We run a 2.0 saloon and a 1.6 Sportwagon - although the Wagon goes fine, the 2.0 is definitely pokier, and I don't think there is much difference in the fuel useage, though I don't monitor it closely.

TBH you are at the bangernomics stage.....if the "new" car has almost a full MOT, then buy it, knock yours out on Ebay for £300m or so scrap value, run the new one for the year, then repeat the exercise - with luck it costs you a few hundred quid each year - just don't spend much on repairs in-between....its harsh and against "alfa" values when you care about a car, but the car market is a hard place these days.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts