Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All

Ive got a 09 Mito 1.3JTDM which I bought early this year from a non alfa dealership. I had a change of oil back in June, and last month started to receive another change of Oil message along with the "anti-pollutant filter" clogged. So again off I went and got the oil changed, to which both errors dissapearded.

About 2 weeks agio the anti-polutant message intermittantly appeared again (although this usually cleared after my trip to work (about 17 miles each way)but today the "Change oil" warning has again appeared. Ive only done about 400 miles since the last oil change in late september and starting to get a litttle concerned now that there is something more wrong.

The car drives fine normally, but when the "Anti-Pollutant clogged" message comes on, the exhaust is a little noiser and at times, white smoke comes out. Im guessing its needs a really good run to fully clear the anti-pollutant error,(which I was meant to be doing a long trip tommorow) but just concered that it again needs an oil change after only 400 miles:|

The car has been on the diagnostics machine about 3 weeks ago and was all clear, other than paying for another oil change. Im a bit lost at what to do.......surely it cant be oil change again( although it is quite dark and the oil is above the max~)

·
Registered
21 Posts
My anti pollutant filter light kept coming on every week when I bought the car 3 yrs ago ! Garage said it had been serviced and this is quite normal ! Anyway after 3 months changed the oil to a good quality oil to correct spec and dpf light hardly comes on at all ! I suspect that either they didn't change the oil or probably put in some cheap oil not to spec ! I also think running the car on a good quality diesel helps ( not super market fuel ) I remember seeing clouds of smoke coming out of the back of the car when it's doing a regen ! Can look quite alarming ! But of course it's putting a lot of extra diesel into the engine to clear the filter , I think this extra diesel can get into the oil putting the oil level up and contaminating it ! I suppose this could lead to the oil needs changing warning coming on !

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh guys I just got out of a mito with dpf issues, I will try and share my nightmare here.
When the dpf light comes on the car over fuels as a matter of course either to protect or to clean I'm unclear what as been told various things. What then happens is derv passes by the Pistons after a while and contaminates the oil hence the oil light flash, you will be able to smell the derv on the dipstick.
I had my light come on every 500 miles and kept doing forced regens at garages. I bought car from a low miles owner but I do lots of 40 mile journeys. Simply put the garage forced regens really only partially cleaned a passage through filter. Eventually I bought a OEM dpf from eBay for £96 paid £70 to fit. The old dpf was twice the weight of the new one.
I recommend this if you keep going back to garage. I'm no mechanic so I only conveying my findings. I sold car this week as despite it being pretty I got left with such a bad experience. Good luck guys, if you trace my back posts over past 6 months you will see lots of input

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just had this same issue (59 1.3 jdtm)...I've had the light come on before which I found to be due to the pipe supplying diesel to the dpf being split. This was replaced and the problem seemed to go away. I'm now doing shorter drives and a few weeks ago the light came on, followed a few days by the oil change light, and a day later the car went into limp home mode :furious:. Was told by Alfa (for a mere £350) that the previous owner had not been having the car serviced and just resetting the warning, so after an oil change and reset its been fine...until today. I did try some dpf cleaner from Halfords a little while ago, but I can't help thinking its a problem that may only be solved by replacing the dpf....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts