Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apart from the obvious don't drink it . . . . . . :blush:

Somewhere along the line I have had 2 different types of antifreeze mixed in my car. Don't know the names of them TBH but the one in the car was the new pink long life type apparently. When I got a coolant change some 18 months or so ago it would appear the old style 'blue' stuff was used and the system hadn't been flushed. As a consequence there was a reaction between the two, causing a corrosive sludgy, jelly like substance to form through the entire cooling system. This has caused through time pressure to build up in the system resulting in head gasket failure, another thermostat failure and failure of the oil cooler too.

Anyway system has been thoroughly flushed, and hopefully all seems just fine now. Garages were until recently unaware of this phenomenon apparently. SO if you see a build up of residue in your expension tank, please drain off and get the system flushed asap as it could be costly. While the head was off, obviously got the timing belt done again, and also the valve stem seals done. Car is running immensely well now. Temp guage now pretty much steady between 87-92, but rising a bit when -erm - booting it

This was a public information announcement on behalf of a pissed off skint person . . . .

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Ethylene Glycol V OAT and nee'r the twain shall meet? There is still a lot of confusion out there, in part as the colour of the original differs so much? Blue, Green, Red, Orange, Yellow Etc.? And there is one type of red that is a EG silicate? So anyone know of a foolproof easy test? OK EG is sweet on the tip of your tongue, but what about the OAT. (Organic Acid Technology version.)

·
Registered
267 Posts
This is a very common problem and one known to most competent garages. However it very much depends on the age of the original coolant and its make.

It's worth having a read of "How To Look After A Best Friend, Your Coolant System" on the tech section.

·
Registered
95 Posts
The earlier G12 which is red/pink did not mix with G11 which is blue.
G12 has now been superseeded with G12+ which is compatible with G11, the blue stuff.

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
I want to do a coolant change on mine, last time I had the rad out I just collected all the old coolant in a bucket and put it back in through a sieve :eek:

I'm not arsed about long life (5+ years) coolant as it won't be in the car for years and years, just want it not to freeze in winter and do the best job it can in summer. I'll probs change it annually with the oil from now on. What would you recommend? Not too expensive ideally..

Also, is 'Water Wetter' from Redline any good?

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
I want to do a coolant change on mine, last time I had the rad out I just collected all the old coolant in a bucket and put it back in through a sieve :eek:

I'm not arsed about long life (5+ years) coolant as it won't be in the car for years and years, just want it not to freeze in winter and do the best job it can in summer. I'll probs change it annually with the oil from now on. What would you recommend? Not too expensive ideally..

Also, is 'Water Wetter' from Redline any good?
Not used water wetter, but I know that Carplan blue (2 year) anti freeze is good stuff, and pretty cheap.

I put the 5 year Carplan red stuff in my car as it was only £2 more expensive.

·
Vendor
45,291 Posts
At £2 difference I'm not fussed which I use, I wonder if there is any way of finding out which has the better thermal properties?

What is the best way to do a flush also? Drain old coolant, fill with water, bleed, run engine & heaters a while, drain water & re-fill with new coolant? That is the procedure I would use unless anyone can advise different..

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
I have flushed by using a hosepipe before now. Remove the lower hose from the rad then apply the water in the expansion tank, or remove the thermostat and squirt it in there.

Your method would work as well though. :thumbs:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Best stuff for flushing?

Stergene!

We used it on all the competition BDAs and I know for certain that it was used by Maranello for very many years on all Ferraris. I was introduced to it by a man I was apprenticed to a long time ago. He had a Rolls distributorship.

There should be a few words on flushing re. the thread I mentioned in my previous post. If not I'd be happy to go through the procedure.

Incidentally each time antifreeze is exposed to fresh air, it loses about 10 - 15% of its volatility!

Drain and strain? You must be mad. There are certain anti-fouling/lubricating properties in antifreeze that lose their effectiveness with time. This can result in water temperature sensor and water pump problems leading to further and sometimes expensive mishaps!

Water Wetter is good but Millers has a product worth looking at. As it's UK produced, it should be cheaper. However you should check out your rad cap's blow off setting as if it's OK for normal use, a raised boiling point temperature can prove a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts