Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I and two friends whose PCs I set up have been using Avast Free Antivirus on Windows 10 for three years. Installing it automatically turns off Windows Defender.

Does its job well, but the rate and nature of Avast's own advertising popups has become ludicrous. Some of them blank out the screen and it's not obvious how to escape them. Sometimes it sneakily sets Chrome as default browser.

Have been looking at alternatives, and a few comparison sites suggest Windows Defender has recently become as good as anything. Made me scratch about a bit and found an article giving the same view.

Time to turn to the brain (or brains) of alfaowner.com. Does anyone have any views on this, informed or otherwise?

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
The article is correct - Defender is good enough for most people these days and substantially less intrusive than the freebies.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I've been using Comodo AV & Firewall until recently - I generally installed Avast as others did. Recently I've changed to Bitdefender on the laptop (free version). I have Malwarebytes now on both for periodic (2 or 3 weekly at most) scans. Just be aware that there has been a recent issue with Malwarebytes conflicting with a recent Windows update that caused everything to run at snail pace. If you're beyond the free premium trial and only open it to scan it shouldn't be an issue (it thus affected one of my machines but not the other).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts