Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 147 GTA in pretty good condition and have just bought a Q2 with gearbox and new clutch, and Bilstein B14s for it. Was thinking it would be a good time to get ARBs as installing the Q2/box will involve taking off most of the same bits required to install the front one anyway.

Have been told that only the rear one really needs to be upgraded though. The Eibachs only come as a kit of both... wondering do I need these? Car is a daily with a bit of mountain driving and maybe the odd track day. The standard front ARB seems pretty thick already, maybe just get better bushes? Not sure lol

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. It's probably the best upgrade for the car. I rate it as much as putting in the Q2.
The Eibach kit from alfisti.com? Thats the only one I can find. There are UK sellers but they are way more expensive

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Rear roll bar upgrade is a must. Front does make a difference as well, but in my opinion its upgrading the rear which gives most of the benefit. Whiteline make a rear anti roll bar and sell it on its own.

My current 156 GTA has Eibach roll bars all round and my previous 156 GTA I put just a rear Eibach anti roll bar on (and at the same time as owning that one I also had a 156 2.4 10v with Eibach bars all round) so I'm speaking from experience here :)

If you buy the Eibach kit, you could try just fitting the rear roll bar first and see if you like how the car's characteristics change.

·
Registered
Giulia Quad, Cayman GT4, Cayenne Turbo
23,458 Posts
The Eibach kit from alfisti.com? Thats the only one I can find. There are UK sellers but they are way more expensive
It is much cheaper from Alfisti given the Euro exchange rate. That's where I bought mine from.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I got mine from Alfisti.net when exchange was great a few years ago. £230ish it worked out in the end with shipping (i think if memory serves correctly..)
I started off with only fitting the rear and then eventually did front aswell. The rear in any FWD car makes the most difference. The front sort of negates the much sharper turn in once fitted, but i feel the car is much better sorted in the corners with both fitted.
If i was going to make mine into a track car, i would go thicker ARB on the back with the Eibach up front most likely.

The ARB upgrade is definitely worth it. Replace the droplionks with Meyle HD items aswell. Makes you feel the original setup has too much roll haha. But when you compare against other cars it really isn't.
However compared with standard 156 suspension there is massive difference!

Reactions: bobulon

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just bought a Whiteline rear bar, it has three stiffness settings.
Which one should i choose?
It will be installed soon, also combined with Bilstein B14 :p

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks chaps, I thought whiteline didn't make 147 bars anymore. Can you tell me where you bought yours Alfa.147GTA?? A friend has one and uses the middle setting. Was also looking at the Zeatek 19mm from alfastumper and I think there is also Ultra Racing 18mm

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
With suspension the best way is to start with stiffest settings and then keep knocking it back until it is tolerable and driveable. But if no front upgraded arb is fitted i would say you prob end up with rear bar on its softest setting

Reactions: bobulon

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello, i have bought it from my local distributor in The Netherlands.
OK, i will start using the middle setting, like your friend. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I would like to chime in to say they are not worth it at all!
The only thing you get from it is the car handles better with no other effect. Hardly worth any money! :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello, i have bought it from my local distributor in The Netherlands.
OK, i will start using the middle setting, like your friend. :biglaugh:
So who is your local distributor? Google comes up with absolutely nothing and even whiteline's own site shows no products for the 147 or 156 so please give me more details :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The company is called Fine Line Imports.

Thanks! I found out that this is an Australian company (I am in Australia!) So it's probably crazy for me to buy their stuff from the Netherlands lol I will try and find somewhere local - there must be a place!!!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
A stiffer (i.e. upgraded) front arb in isolation will make it understeer and therefore be a waste of money.

Fitting a replacement front arb isn't that difficult, takes about 2 - 3 hours.

I'd suggest you start with a rear or both, but not just the front.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Must be your browser as I use I product safari Whiteline BAR18Z Sway bar - 18mm heavy duty blade adjustable I get right in to add to bag/cart at £156.
also plenty outlets in Melbourne, Pedders seem to be main dealer?
I can see that now but your screenshot says "while stocks last" mine says "deleted item" :) Not to worry, just called the nearest Pedders and they are looking in their stock system to see if any of their stores have any sitting on a shelf somewhere - otherwise they can make them to order for a little bit more! Still be cheaper than importing one from yurp or the UK so got a Win! 18mm 3-way adjustable - not as mad as the zeatek 21mm but a third of the price

1 - 20 of 46 Posts