Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Looking through the workshop manuals, at the back of the suspension section there is a sheet put in to describe the differences pre and post 95 models of 155.

It seems that the narrow cars had roll bar thicknesses F=23 R=19 and the widebody ones had F=22 R=17.

Does that mean that earlier thicker bars could be fitted to a widebody and coupled with the widebodys harder springs give a handling improvement for a lot less money that a set of aftermarket roll bars, maybe not quite as good. Or have I got the date thing wrong on the spec sheet. :) :p ???

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me.. a thicker bar would help the narrower-arsed "Kylie" version to stay more upright, whereas on the less roll-inclined J-Lo' (wide-butt) version, you wouldn't want a chunky roll-bar if you can get away with a smaller one.

Dunno if it fits but it proves once again (somehow) that the skinny IS the superior version! :D

Ralf S.

P

·
0 Posts
On the Alfa parts CD the 2 different bars are mentioned with their sizes.

What about the Q4 - I assume it has even thicker bars - they look the same on the CD but are heavier.

M

·
0 Posts
Ralf S. said:
It wouldn't surprise me.. a thicker bar would help the narrower-arsed "Kylie" version to stay more upright, whereas on the less roll-inclined J-Lo' (wide-butt) version, you wouldn't want a chunky roll-bar if you can get away with a smaller one.

Dunno if it fits but it proves once again (somehow) that the skinny IS the superior version! :D

Ralf S.
But the rear track is the same for both models. It's only the front which is slightly wider on the widebody.

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
But the lad could buy a whole second-hand skinny for the same price as an Eibach rollbar. :D

Ralf S.

G

·
0 Posts
When i sell my 1.8 16V , well scrap it really i quess, that has the eibach roll bars on it, i guess there worth taking off to someone... they are fantastic on the car

1 - 10 of 10 Posts