Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon all!

Right I've booked my car in with my friendly local mechanic to have the anti roll bar bushes changed, definitely not for me to DIY that one! I need to source some bushes now, I'm quite tempted by getting some powerflex ones so its a fit and forget job.

My question is the size - from what I've read in old threads they're probably 21mm now? All I can find are 22mm ones, will these fit? I assume they're a common upgrade if thats all I can find!

Cheers for any information folks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Smashing, I'll get on that too! It'll stop future noob questions haha

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Smashing, I'll get on that too! It'll stop future noob questions haha
Ideally you really need to fit the V6 anti roll bar, which has a circumference of 23mm. Only 1mm difference, but on a heavy engine like the JTD this really provides a marked improvement in handling.

If you're sticking to the 22mm bar make sure when changing the bushes to put clamps on the bar next to the bushes to stop them from sliding on the bar. The 147/156/GT all have the same front ARB and these Alfas are notorious for doing this!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Pretty sure the front roll bars are either 22mm or 23mm, with the 23mm ones being hollow. My 156 V6 bar is 22mm, I think the 23mm ones are usually on 147's. To be sure you'll need to measure yours. GTA and GT 3.2 are different again.

It's a fairly straight forward DIY job - if you can get the section of exhaust that runs under the subframe off then you're half way there. You'll need a 12mm drill to drill out the rivets that hold the roll bar bush clamps together (unless the bushes have already been replaced).

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
Pretty sure the front roll bars are either 22mm or 23mm, with the 23mm ones being hollow. My 156 V6 bar is 22mm, I think the 23mm ones are usually on 147's. To be sure you'll need to measure yours. GTA and GT 3.2 are different again.

It's a fairly straight forward DIY job - if you can get the section of exhaust that runs under the subframe off then you're half way there. You'll need a 12mm drill to drill out the rivets that hold the roll bar bush clamps together (unless the bushes have already been replaced).
You are providing erroneous information, certainly with respect to the UK market.

The standard ARB on the 147/156/GT is 22mm circumference, Alfa Romeo part number 51754198.

The uprated ARB with 23mm circumference was fitted to the 147 GTA, 156 GTA, and GT V6 only. Alfa Romeo part number 51754199. The 1mm increase is modest, but it does provide more assured handling particularly with the JTD models, which is why I suggested it, and it is why some Alfa owners have done this modest but effective mod.

EPER front suspension for the 147:

http://eper.fiatforum.com/eper/navi?COUNTRY=012&GRP_COD=443&SBMK=R&DRIVE=D&SGS_COD=0&MAKE=R&COMM_MODEL=147&CAT_COD=W8&MOD_COD=190&SGRP_COD=1&ALL_FIG=0&LANGUAGE=3&NEW_HTTP=TRUE&PREVIOUS_KEY=SUBGROUP&ALL_LIST_PART=0&SB_CODE=-1&KEY=PARTDRAWDATA&PRINT_MODE=0&EPER_CAT=SP&WINDOW_ID=1&GUI_LANG=3

EPER front suspension for the 156:

FIAT ePER

EPER front suspension for the GT:

FIAT ePER

The New Zealand market may be different, as Alfa Romeo did have a habit of altering some of the specs of these models for specific markets. But the OP lives in the UK, and this is what he needs to know.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This is definitely on my list too . My rear anti-roll bar bushes are shot. The thing I want to ask about is the roll bar itself. Without having touched it yet its hard to see but it looks like the bar is worn inside the bush. Obviously this would be bad and need a new roll bar. I'm hoping its not the case though . Anybody experienced this ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts