Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my Spider went for a MOT this week and it was noticed that one of the front anti-roll bar brackets had snapped and the chassis mount has split . I had the alloys powder coated recently and new tyres fitted without tubes as had previously been in them. I thought the steering had felt lighter but put that down to new tyres and going tubeless. Not sure how long it has been broken as it has only been out a few times since about october.
It is fitted with a Pre Alfaholics Richard Banks handling kit from over 20 years ago with thicker anti-roll bar. It passed with the warning not to use until I get it repaired. My mechanic friend who has fettled it for 20+ years is going to have a look this week. I have bought a new pair of brackets from CA and he will see what needs welding. i suppose it is nearly 50 years old and the brackets are probably the originals.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Ouch.
I hate the design of the FARB on the 105’s, it just doesn’t seem to be very well engineered at all. The larger bar makes it worse too.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Unfortunately I think the bracket is the least of your worries, a common place for corrosion coupled with the increased stress from a thicker arb can often lead to issues. I’m surprised the usual suppliers don’t offer a reinforced repair section but hopefully your mechanic will be able to sort it.

Reactions: Top Down

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Better check mine as i fitted a thicker ARB couple of years ago, might be worth welding a strengthening plate in there anyway

Reactions: roony

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My mate has welded up where the chassis has split and replaced the snapped bracket. He mentioned as others have said, that in his opinion the chassis wasn't really strong enough with a thicker bar. Going to see how it goes for now. He said he will reinforce it if it goes again.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts