Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
That's quite ambitious for a tatty example in my view...

·
Registered
827 Posts
That's quite ambitious for a tatty example in my view...
Seconded. I'm seriously considering selling mine, same year and also a bit tatty, but my asking price would be nowhere near that amount if I'm honest.

I do like the tan seats though. You don't see those very often.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Price looks about right to me. Not many left and this is the model to have. It appears to be a straight car with acceptable paint in a rare UK colour. Modest mileage. Nice correct wheels. You would expect to renew cambelt etc. anyway. Working electrics but what about the electric dampers - this would be the make or break for me. Probably a better proposition than an immaculate restoration built upon the usual pile of junk.

·
Registered
455 Posts
So very very few of these left now, and the number that are good enough to form the basis of a worthwhile restoration including decent respray must be in single digits. The 12v cloverleaf with no catalytic converters, a working electronic suspension on modern tyres and an ownership history that can show routine maintenance is truly special, but when did one of those last come up for sale?

The bolster and scuffed bumpers is almost obligatory on any original car that's 25 years old, especially with such a rubbish turning circle, so its consistent with the sellers admission that it would form a solid basis for a full restoration.

Asking price is of course academic, but scarcity must be starting to play its part and interest in the Busso seems to be stoking interest in all of the V6 equipped cars. I wonder whether the relative simplicity of this generation of car may also start to foster greater interest or appreciation for the remaining 164 and 155s.

A look at howmanyleft.com shows the following, some being more comparable than others:

Car 2015 :Q3 : Sorn Q3: Very Approx asking prices

Alfa 164 Green Cloverleaf 8 : 22 : ?

Audi Coupe 16v 37 : 95 : £3500-6000
BMW E28 2.5 6 : 2 : £3500-12,000
BMW E34 2.5 57 : 12 : £2100-
BMW E34 M535 10 : 0 : £5000-16,000
BMW E34 M5 3.6 - : - : £4000-6000
BMW 635CSi 55 : 108 : £2500-5000
BMW M635CSi 6 : 10 : £27,000-30,000
Ford Cosworth Sapphire 4 door 527 : 869 : £10,000-
Mercedes 190E 2.3 16v 50 : 157 : £9000-12,000
Mercedes 190 Cosworth EvoII 4 : 2 : £12,000-14,000
Saab 900 Aero Turbo 130 : 108 : £2500-4000
Lancia Thema 16v 2.0 4 : 7 : £3450-5000

All of the above cars, except the Alfa, are available on the various online classifieds/auctions generally offering up a choice of at least 2 or 3, anything being offered as restored is north of £5k; I cannot see any other 12v Cloverleafs for sale! Good luck to the seller and should someone step forward to buy and restore the car I have a set of shocks they can have, which may be useful when rebuilding the originals. If the car were restored and immaculate what then would it be worth?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Hi all,

Got to love a white 164...! Always suited the shape.

The price seems quite high to me, unfortunately it is a fact that Alfas do not carry the same value in the UK as any of the German counterparts listed above and sadly never will.

I do agree the Busso is gathering interest but these 164's are not easy to work on let alone restore.

Tragic but I believe the above to be true.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
..it's sort of interesting to look at the European prices, which run from junk all the way up to 15k or so for a spotless Q4. Not too many 'leafs around by the looks of it either..

Here's a nice TB;

Alfa Romeo 164 2.0 Turbo 8V Lampredi

Anything's only worth whatever somebody will pay of course, but a nice 'leaf should be worth a few quid.. ?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Yes, a very rare beast indeed and I miss my 164 QV 24v dearly. It was absolutely mint and would be worth a fortune now had it not self-combusted back in 2007 :-(

It will take a dedicated enthusiast to restore this and put it back on the road - a real Alfa nut - in my view. Yes, a minter is worth a lot of money but I feel you'd never make a return with the amount of money you'd have to put in to sort this car. However, that's just looking at it from a purely financial perspective.

It would be fantastic to see this car saved and restored to its former glory. I'm just not sure it will sell for the price listed. It seems that Alfas get very cheap before they get very expensive again.

How many 156s do you see on the road now? No where near as many as you used to. Like nice 166s, these will increase in value too over the next few years - especially the Busso V6 models. Strange times in the second-hand Alfa world!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts