Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
It is a 6 speed manual

The only issue is that it is a fair distance from me, and I am having problems getting the time to view stuff due to work and kids etc.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looked like an auto of some sort at a quick glance!

Work and children do stop a lot of things yes... I can't even do bits and pieces on mine right now and the little one means an end to Busso in the nearish future.

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I may have to wipe the Octavia from my list.

The Mrs doesn't want me to get one... Someone at her work who she doesn't get along with has one. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
245 Posts
I may have to wipe the Octavia from my list.

The Mrs doesn't want me to get one... Someone at her work who she doesn't get along with has one. :rolleyes:
:ROFLMAO:

Good job her enemies don't drive Alfas then?

Haven't looked at Octy prices but I'd imagine there's plenty of choice around for the price range. Work used to use mk2 vRS Diesel estates, the DSG seemed to be erratic or atleast hit top speed in 5th rather than top if I remember. Plus someone popped one of them at under 10k but I'm not surprised since they were treated robustly...

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
They are a decent car I think, lots of room, fast enough and you don't pay extra for the badge.
They do look a bit bland, but so do many modern cars.

I wouldn't want a DSG, too many horror stories and personally I prefer a normal gearbox.

Most VRS Octavias are the Diesel unfortunately, and lots have mega miles.

·
Registered
245 Posts
If I didn't have a family I'd be sorely tempted by this...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202006250517255?onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&fuel-type=Petrol&price-to=8000&sort=relevance&price-from=7000&transmission=Manual&advertising-location=at_cars&radius=1500&postcode=ss170jy&zero-to-60=TO_8&page=1

Not because it isn't spacious enough but because of it's running costs!

Some Audi A5 at the price with under 100k mileage, might have been mentioned already.

A few Impreza of various sorts too but probably have high running costs and I've never understood the whole Scooby scene.

Guess its VAG group Turbo hatch for you or keep the 1 series as nothing much else hits all your tick boxes.

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I am not a massive fan of those V8 ZT's. sure they are a bit unique, but 260 bhp from a V8?

·
Registered
245 Posts
American laziness.... It's just a Mustang V8. They're never cared about bhp per litre and probably think less is more. Some nastier folk will say US engines are under tuned as lots of their folk don't agree with frequent oil changes.

I'd rather have the Rover version as MG was chav AF near the end of Rover Group's days. Would love to savour V8 one day but by the time offspring is self sufficient we'll all be in EVs most likely...

·
Registered
14,986 Posts
I like those but they are probably more of a toy than a daily. The torque figure is more impressive than the BHP figure. The Americans like their engines to be adaptable so versions of that engine vary from under 200bhp to over 500 depending on application, which could be anything from a Lincoln Town Car, to a Crown Vic, to an MG, to a Ford GT. Koenigsegg used it too but 800bhp would probably tear a Rover 75 shell to pieces.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Utterly nutty choice but what about a 5 door VW Up GTi?

Might cost a bit more to buy but promises to have extremely low running costs.

Then again it might suck as hard as the Fiat Panda 100HP. I tried one of those awhile back and it was just an ordinary hatchback, zero about it stood out to me...

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I will take a look, but I like my hot hatches to have proper power.

I never got the Panda 100hp, it was a slow buzz box that just felt fast.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think the Up GTi is pretty much an updated Panda 100hp yes... Or atleast it's touted as a spiritual successor to the original GTi. It's certainly a decent way to get into a nearly new car and it even sounds ok too, 3 cyl cars make an amusing impression of a 6 cylinder one at higher revs :p

I'd agree yes as whilst the Up seems to have decent interior space for it's size, if I'm already looking up Stage 2 mods to take it to 150bhp then it's clear that I want more power too. I am pretty much set on a GQV and it seems like some sort of turbo hatch for you too.

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I do like the Scooby. The Pulsar looks a bit Meh though.

My dad had a Civic like that one, it was a nice car but maybe a bit extreme for day to day use? The bit which lets them down is the engine IMO. It is great for what it does, but they are hard to tune and have very little torque.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Newer Civic goes Turbo as even Honda knows their 0 torque screamers are no longer viable.

That Civic is meant to be insanely stiffly sprung too.

Both the Scooby to a lesser extent and the Pulsar to a greater one look like shadows of what they used to be. Neither look anything like the performance heroes of the past...

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
The civic of my dads was stiffly spring. It was also doing crazy revs at motorway speeds due to the short gearing. 4500rpm at 75mph IIRC.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Forget talk of a 5 door VW Up GTi, just found out it has a dashboard mounted speaker that makes fake engine noises.

That I can't forgive...

61 - 80 of 112 Posts