Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Sorry if it's wandering off topic but I suppose there's arguably not much point in DSG paddles in manual mode now I think of it.

Not quite the same but have spent some time in the Mini Cooper S Hybrid which is on an autobox but has BMW's version of Trip/Step/lol/Tronic.

Sure knocking it across so you can manually change gears is novel for a bit but i realised that after a bit I was far better served by driving normally in D then flicking it across to Sport for the later upchanges and letting the box work out how to best serve me with power.

Maybe I'd either want a full autobox or have the 3 pedals manual gearbox.

·
Vendor
45,986 Posts
I didn't even look to see if the new one had paddles, but neither of the older two did. Working the stick is fine for me anyway, I only really knock it into manual mode when I am driving quickly and want to change gear in advance to suit the road ahead, which is something no automatic ever can or will be able to do.

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Well today's thought is that I am not in a huge rush to sell the 1 series. I did 300 miles in it today and it went perfectly. No aches or pains from the driving position and I managed almost 60mpg.

I deffo could do with something with more room in it though, although the kids don't mind it for shorter trips.

·
Vendor
45,986 Posts
Well today's thought is that I am not in a huge rush to sell the 1 series. I did 300 miles in it today and it went perfectly. No aches or pains from the driving position and I managed almost 60mpg.

I deffo could do with something with more room in it though, although the kids don't mind it for shorter trips.
The new Golf is suggesting it is doing high 50s mpg, which I would be surprised if it is, but I've just stuck a full tank in it and reset the trip so in 4 or 5 hundred miles time, I will know for sure. The Altea XL always used to do mid 40s but lately it has been much worse, mid 30s on a tankful of mixed driving.

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
This was mostly at a steady 60-70mph, with the odd roundabout thrown in for good measure. I can get 52mpg on the same trip in the Giulietta, but the BMW is consistently slightly better on fuel in general.

·
Registered
245 Posts
There's actually a huge selection at the £7/8k price range...As there's cheap high performance stuff, nearly new mundane cars etc all converging around that price. Running costs and reliability will vary hugely, might depend on how much of your spare time you want to spend on said car!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I quite like the interior of that Lexus but it looks vile from the outside...

Same for both examples in fact!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Volvo V40 D4 8 Speed flappy paddles pan roof Rebel Blue.
Striking car and unassuming. Around 185 bhp stock but takes a re map.

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I have sort of decided that I want a hot hatch with a petrol engine and manual gearbox. They generally drive well but have enough practicality for general use.

I like the big Beemers etc, but I think I would get bored fairly quickly, as out here in the sticks most of the roads are the twisty type, and throwing a big car around isn't ideal.

If I had to do a motorway commute each day things might be different.

MPG needs to be acceptable but doesn't have to be Diesel like. 30mpg + is fine with me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Back to a Golf GTi then or a VAG group variant of it?

As you've already got a G so no GQV.

What about stretching to a Toyota GT86? They seem to go for about 10k tho unless you get a Cat one. Although maybe not so practical.

And maybe an RX8, get one for cheap and spent the rest on fuel and engine rebuilds. I wouldn't tho, torque less unreliable rotary engine....

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I do like the GT86, but like you say too expensive.

I have been looking at Golf GTi's, Leon Cupras and Octavia VRS's. I have also been looking at Renault Megane RS250's but they are quite expensive for what they are.

I have seen a couple of Audi s3's within budget in the recent past, but none right now unfortunately.

Any Japanese/Korean hot hatches which I have missed? I would rather have a turbo car than a highly tuned NASP, as they are generally more relaxing and easier to tune further.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think Japan withdrew from the hot hatch sector quite awhile ago. Civic Type R FN2 is within budget but most reviewers say it is hard core as F, hugely uncompromising chassis and you likely will hate the torque less 2.0 engine.

I harbour a dislike for French cars having dabbled in Citroen years ago, maybe they've changed? There are Peugeot GTi things in price range too.

Would there be any point getting an Audi S3 over other VAG hot hatches? Other than for the badge?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I want to like the Hyundai and it's certainly cheap as hell. When you consider you'd pay about the same for a 2012 GQV.

Maybe it's completely hypocritical of me but I've spent quite a bit of time in regular i30 and that car looks like someone's thrown a boy racer's box of toys at it. Dual exhaust, weird gear stick, starter button, front chin, alloys etc etc

And maybe I've a bad a badge snob as everyone else but that doesn't have the same kudos as an established car. Then again the Skoda Octavia vRS was never seen as a viable performance car at first...

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I have found this, this is the R variant as well so 265bhp as stock.

41 - 60 of 112 Posts