Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am shortly going to replace my BMW 1 series and I am thinking about what to get next.

Here are the criteria:

4 seats
4 doors preferably but not essential
Size wise would need to be Giulietta sized or larger.
Would prefer a petrol, but would consider a big diesel
Has to be a manual (unless the engine is a big diesel)
Preferably more than than 200bhp, but more would be even better (Even if helped by a remap)
Priced up to £7.5 - 8k
The newer the better
Not a Vauxhall or another Giulietta (one is enough) not keen on french stuff.

I have been looking at the usual big BMW's but I don't really want to be spending £8k on a 10 year old car with 100,000 miles plus.

I have also been looking at Seat Leon Cupras, but they are getting a bit long in the tooth for ones in that price range...

Suggestions welcome. :)

·
Vendor
45,986 Posts
E90 or E91 330i could be had for half your budget, or your budget would buy you a tidy low miler. Not so much a 335i though.

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been looking at those, but I would want a manual if it was a 330i and they are quite rare. Not sure I would want a 335i as they are not all that reliable (Fuel pumps, wastegates etc)

Most are going to be either out of budget or be too old as well. :(

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep looking at this, it is a nice car of a bit bland. It would go well once remapped.

I don't mind these either, but it would need a remap to take it over 200bhp.

·
Vendor
45,986 Posts
So if its got bags of grunt, you don't mind an auto. But if its a naturally aspirated petrol you'd want a manual? Shouldn't be that hard to find a manual 330i 4dr.. I know they are rare-ish, but its not like they're GTA-rare and there are always a few of those for sale.

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is pretty much the size of it, a grunty diesel would suit an auto.

I will keep a look out for a 330i, I don't mind spending less than 8k if I have to. ;)

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The focus would be ok, but it would need to be the 1.5 turbo at least. I had a go in a 1.0 ecoboom and it was slow...

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
91 Posts
159 Sportwagon 3.2? Right in the price range for a good one...

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mazda 3 fastback 2.2d?
Seems to be some 2015 models in your budget.
I am not really a fan of Mazdas, although I might consider an MPS of some desription. I definitely don't want a 4 pot diesel, as they either sound horrid or just plain boring.

159 Sportwagon 3.2? Right in the price range for a good one...
They are nice, but I don't think I would want the hassle of living with one, and I don't like that engine very much.

·
Registered
2010 Alfa Romeo Mito 1.4, 2003 Alfa Romeo GTV Phase 3 JTS
91 Posts
In that case, what about a Volvo V40 2.5 T5 Sport? Petrol, 5 door, I think it looks pretty good, and should be dead reliable. Oh and it has 250bhp

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In that case, what about a Volvo V40 2.5 T5 Sport? Petrol, 5 door, I think it looks pretty good, and should be dead reliable. Oh and it has 250bhp
Good shout, i will take a look at them. :)

I have also been looking at the Jaguar XF

·
Vendor
45,986 Posts
Mazda 3 MPS is a lot of car for the money. You'd be hard pressed to do better, so would be worth your while trying one out. If you like how it drives, ideal. I think it is essentially a Focus underneath isn't it? Or was that the previous generation?

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The only thing that puts me off from Mazdas is the rust. I know someone with a 61 plate Mazda 6 and he is having issues with it already.

It seems that they use the same rust protection methods as Ford. The Rust issues put me off from Jaguars too.

I must be getting old as I am also looking at Lexus cars, as well as the Audi A5. The 3.2 is appealing, and I quite like the Walter da Silva styling...

Also under consideration, Mk6 Golf GTi. I would take a look at Renault Megane RS250's as well but would worry about the French reliability.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
The focus would be ok, but it would need to be the 1.5 turbo at least. I had a go in a 1.0 ecoboom and it was slow...
When I last changed it was between Giulietta 1.4 and Focus 1.5, and it was easier to find the Alfa than the Ford, so never did try the Focus out. (I was more interested in the Alfa anyway).

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The 1.5 does seem quite rare. i guess most people who buy them are not really car enthusiasts, so end up going for the cheaper and more economical models.

I think even the 1.5 would be too slow for my needs, and I can't quite stretch to an ST :(

One thing is certain though, I could quite easily spend out lots of cash and end up with something worse than the car which I have now.

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Is there much love for the BMW 6 series?

I can get a 635d or 650i within budget. The 635d being the sensible option with only 286bhp as standard...

·
Registered
37,988 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I wouldn't touch a CLS (and probably not another Merc from the same era) after the trouble my dad had with his one. His was a top spec 500 version and he had nothing but issues, and you certainly wouldn't expect rusty brake pipes on a 5 year old car. It was fast but the handling wasn't great either (Air suspension)

I wouldn't mind a 5 pot Focus ST, not really keen on SUV things like the Kuga.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts