Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am lucky that the excellent LC motors is 10 mls but if a person living in Swansea wanted to look at a Alfa he has about a 200 ml round trip to Swindon, when a Audi, BMW, Merc or Jag dealer is around the corner so to speak. No wonder a new Alfa is a very rare sight in S Wales and ARUK are doing bugger all to sort this long running shambles out!

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
Why are you taking your Vauxhall to a main dealer ,and a Ford dealer at that, especially at an age where injectors need changing.
Daewoo tried using Halfords for the first owner. How are they doing? People want to see a nice place they can go to, ideally with no bill except a contract.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Why are you taking your Vauxhall to a main dealer ,and a Ford dealer at that, especially at an age where injectors need changing.
Daewoo tried using Halfords for the first owner. How are they doing? People want to see a nice place they can go to, ideally with no bill except a contract.
Vauxhall to vauxhall main dealer and Ford to Ford main dealer... That was for a dpf but too late it killed the turbo so car written off....

·
Registered
527 Posts
Peo

People seem to happily have a new on-line haggled car delivered to their front door. Not sure how they test drive it though...
A good point - the test vehicle is delivered to their door, or delivered to the local peugoet /citroen / chrysler/ jeep / vauxhall!/ fiat / ferrari / Mazzeratti dealer... Sure there will be one of them close to anywhere in UK. I mean amazon and ebay can deliver items from Europe in 24 hrs to the door... I am sure the logistics of arranging a test drive to the customers address can't be to logistically challenging. You this whole main dealer rip of thing is so in need of being disrupted... Or maybe dealers need to rip off customers on service as they won't make enough selling vehicles?

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
I don’t think dealers rip off their customers if you consider how much they are obliged to spend on the buildings and furnishings they buy from the brands they sell. In fact Audi subsidise their dealers by selling loan-cars very cheaply to them in closed auctions for used stock according to guy I know who works in the workshop at our local dealers.

·
Vendor
45,453 Posts
But the impact is what we are seeing here, you can buy the product but cant get it serviced, is that progress?
Any garage can service or fix a car. If it is a warranty repair, the manufacturer could just pay for a garage local to the customer to do the work. Manufacturers could send their own technicians out with diagnostic equipment to fix complicated problems.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Anyway why does the retailer and the service provider need to be the same entity?
Back in 2011, before I bought the Giulietta, I had to have major surgery done on a Citroen Xsara VTS which had, as it turned out, broken some valve springs. This was complicated by being in Verona, Italy on holiday. Anyway the RAC breakdown cover booked the car into one of the main dealers in the city and the hotel gave me directions. I walked into a very plush showroom, on one of the main roads into the city, to be told that I needed to be at the service workshops, which having followed their directions, turned out to be in the middle of an industrial estate. While I didn't need them, since the car was being left for what turned out to be the best part of a week, the customer waiting facilities were a row of plastic seated upright chairs outside the office which was partitioned off in one corner. The upside of this was that when I eventually came to pay the bill the labour rate was similar to a UK indie being less than half a UK dealer rate. Clearly the margin on new sales paid for the showroom and the workshop operated on a stand alone basis. This seemed to me, at the time and still does, a far more honest approach rather than using servicing charges to subsidise the sales facilities. And before you ask yes the sales and servicing both traded under the same name so presumably belonged to the same beneficial owner.

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
An Italian friend couldn’t believe labour rates in this country compared to what he pays for a Porsche main dealer to work on his 911 and 928 back in Turin. His experience of an independent over here was very poor and no cheaper than than the main dealer back home.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
t
I don’t think dealers rip off their customers if you consider how much they are obliged to spend on the buildings and furnishings they buy from the brands they sell. In fact Audi subsidise their dealers by selling loan-cars very cheaply to them in closed auctions for used stock according to guy I know who works in the workshop at our local dealers.
True....mainly...I used to go to those auctions when I was an Audi/VW dealer sales manager. True in as much as they were closed auctions (you could bid online too) but they were mainly ex lease cars. We used to be slightly dishonest and often sold them as ex Audi fleet and personnel perk cars. They all had Audi as the owner on the doc....so they could not prove otherwise. However they were not that cheap....its an auction so the market and dealers dictated the price. Often I came away with nothing if big companies with low stocks were there!!

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
The person who told me about the auctions said “you wouldn’t believe how cheaply we got them” so maybe it was at a different time to when you were in the sales manager job. This was a year or two ago.

·
Registered
527 Posts
My experience leads me to believe they do rip off customers, both labour and parts. Even try to use recalls as an opportunity to rip off customers... Zafira heater catch on fire recall.... Dangerous part replaced now fan only works on 1 and 4...not the fault of main dealer.... New control unit needed £225.00 + 2hrs labour.... Used of ebay £25 15mins to pop out faulty one and pop in new onw... Wtf....

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
That’s not my point. Vauxhall , Ford, VW all charge a lot of money for the set up of the showroom branding and furniture for the prime real estate that a franchised dealer is required to create. And then customers of new cars demand the dealer has no margin thanks to Carwow etc. If somebody comes in with an old Zafira they are not expected to go onto ebay and get some bit from somewhere and install it in Tesco carpark.

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
It allows the dealer to keep their franchise. I’m not saying it’s right. That’s the way it is and the new car experience is maintained.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
P3Dude...
It doesn't....but it makes them feel better about the sale and more relaxed, gives that luxury car impression.... BMW, Merc. Range Rover don't spend millions on showroom for the fun of it....its to help move the metal!

·
Registered
33,710 Posts
The new car buyer will not be living the dream by sitting in a plastic garden chair.
The new FCA showrooms are nicer.

·
Registered
527 Posts
P3Dude...
It doesn't....but it makes them feel better about the sale and more relaxed, gives that luxury car impression.... BMW, Merc. Range Rover don't spend millions on showroom for the fun of it....its to help move the metal!
Sure. I must admit I did like our local Mercedes showroom. Very functional and not overstated. Lots of merchandise to buy too.....

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
Carwow and the likes are still buying through dealers so if the price is discounted then clearly the dealer has to recover the showroom costs elsewhere which means inflated servicing prices. That is what I think is wrong. Servicing cost should reflect the costs of servicing and sales the cost of selling. If countries like Italy can do why can't the UK?

41 - 60 of 60 Posts