Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Bit of a background story first, my GT blew a headgasket sometime in winter / spring. I've set it aside for the time being, to decide what I am going to do. Then the covid-crap came and I was put onto furlough scheme by my employer. Few months on, I was called to work only to get informed I am being fired. It seemed very grim back then. The decision was made to get rid of the car, as you know, can't really go for engine repair when you have no prospect of future income. So I made a visit to my local italian scrapyard to get informed what they'd offer for my GT. It saddened me that after so much me and the previous owner done I am going to sell it for a penny.
With no other solution in the current situation, I sold it. After that, probably 2 months time, I got a call from my employer, that they need me ASAP (I work as a technical support, machinist in a engine parts producing company). The spark of hope lighted up, and the next day I went to buy my GT back 馃檪. Luckily it was untouched and in the state I brought it in, just some moss and algae on the window rubbers, which was taken care of the same day. Fast forward a few weeks, the car was taken to the shop my mech buddy works in. I decided not to just go for a gasket change and that's it, but for a rebuild instead. The motor approaching 200kkm, I thought it's needed. It felt like it's heavily carboned inside for the last 20kkm, down on power, idle fluctuations, you know the JTS niggles.

That's it for the past, and now onto the job itself. Engine was dismantled yesterday, head lifted and sent to the shop doing head rebuilds. Same with the injectors, those were sent to Bosch centre to diagnose. My friend continued with the dismantling of the internals today.
What's going to be done?
Head (cleaning, checking for straightness, pressure testing)
Changing of all gaskets and o'rings in the head, including the stem seals.
Injectors (testing at the Bosch shop, changing the ones beyond remedy)
Piston rings
Crank shells
Re-sealing the oil pan.
Clutch
Putting it all back together.

That's it for now, I will keep this thread updated as the work progresses.

Adding some pictures of the work, will continue to update with pics, too.

Inlet tracts, heavily (mech's words) carboned.

Pistons out, cleaned and in a good shape.

Everything cleaned up and ready to assemble, now we are waiting for the injectors and the head.

Registered
GT 2.0 JTS
Ohh, I love this thread! Regarding a coked up intake, is there any ways of clearing that out without head removal?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Ohh, I love this thread! Regarding a coked up intake, is there any ways of clearing that out without head removal?
There are companies nowadays offering chemical decarb, where they run a bunch of different chemicals through the intake with the help of a clever machine. That's all I know, but I heard some people having good results. Does it reach in the tracts and clean them ? Not so sure.

Anyway, injectors back from the Bosch centre. Tests resulted with 3 injectors being very good and one slightly less so. Spray pattern is good on all of them, so we decided to keep all 4, as there was only 3% deviation to the rest three injectors.
30 ml flow test results were pretty good, 28,95ml on the three and 27,5 on the said one.

Work continues today with clutch removal, changing of front and rear crank seals.

We discovered a leak on the gearbox side of driveshafts, so will probably have to add that to the list. Having a look tomorrow.

Registered
I cleaned out my 159's inlet valves without taking the head off, can't see why you wouldn't be able to do it with a 156/GT unless the inlet ports are inaccessible, haven't had the pleasure of working with one so can't say for sure.
Inlet manifold off, spray Mr Muscle oven cleaner (yes, really!) in the ports with closed valves (you don't want the resulting sludge flowing into the combustion chamber!) and leave for half an hour. Agitate with a tube brush - you can get brushes that can be attached to a drill on eBay, really good for this job! - then get a rag in there to soak up and drag out the gunge. Repeat as necessary and use egr cleaner as a finisher. Turn the engine over (leave it in gear and rock the car if you don't want to faff around with the crank pulley) until the previously open valves are closed, repeat process until everything is shiny and then be amazed at the difference in how the car performs!
Here's what I posted, there's some pictures and a link to the tube brush kit. My valves weren't horrific, but the build up was enough to upset the car...

The tale of the sickly JTS

Anyway, glad to hear that the OP has his job back and been reunited with his car and looking forward to seeing more on this thread! Good luck!

Registered
It was German cars which first started using walnut shell blasting to clean inlet carbon. It is effective but fairly time consuming- especially an Alfa JTS. I think I'll have to remove the inlet manifold on my JTS to see. If there is a significant build up after the overhaul I did 3 years ago, I'll do the Mister Muscle and wire brush trick.

Have the oil ring valleys in the pistons been modified with 4 small oil drain holes per piston (to allow oil drain and negligible oil consumption)?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I planned to do the pistons drains too, but we decided not to. I know that it would almost negate the oil consumption, but yeah. Mechanic didn't like the idea so I passed on it. However, there were lots of small leaks (oil pump, inlet camshaft, front and rear crank seals, oil pan), which contributed to the oil lost. The engine wasn't terrible oil cons. wise, so I am pretty sure with these fixed it will be neglible. Also I am very keen on Motul oil, consumption wise.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Yesterday was gearbox and clutch time. As I stated in previous post, gearbox developed a leak some time ago, which we, hopefully, fixed.
Cleaned up and resealed the box.
Also fitted the new clutch with its hydraulic bearing, which started to get noisy last winter. Went for Sachs clutch parts.
New fluids of course, Motul brake fluid and Motul gearbox oil.

Registered
That looks in good condition. What gear oil have you been using?
I'll have to take mine apart for the same reason. A product called Wellseal will be the best thing to use for that type of joint.

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure what oil was used before to be honest, but we did put Motul gear300 75w90 synthetic gearbox oil in the box this time around.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Week recap - head returned from the shop, fully reconditioned. I visited the garage again that day to help and fiddle around while my friend puts everything back together. Brought some bits I had lying around for ages, like new dipstick, new oil cap, to freshen it up a bit.

After everything was assembled, it was time to start. It idled very smooth. So we went for a quick drive around the block. Basically, when it misfired under spirited acceleration, we both knew it's the damn injector. The one we thought will be fine (worst of the 4).
Immediately ordered new injector, and started dismantling the intake and stuff around it to get to them. (Again).
It arrived the next day so that was changed and put back together.
All I can say now, that it's just great engine in this state after rebuild. It honestly feels like it has the factory-stated 165bhp now. Idles rock steady, lovely purr on idle from the exhaust, pulls very strong. Sounds like a TS in the higher range (I was probably used to the hum of the carboned tracts).

I am collecting the car later today, it's going to have allignment done, and I am after nightshift anyway 馃檪

Sad thing is that I am not going to fully enjoy the car in the next days / weeks, blame the incoming cov-19 restrictions and partial lockdown in my country 鈽

Registered
Another JTS owner has the head sorted and finds out what the JTS is really like.
Try to avoid urban driving wherever possible to keep it carbon free for longer.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Just an update after 300ish kilometres. Mind that I am still not pushing it very hard, need it to settle down for a 1 or 2 thousand km's.
What I wanted to say that there is no loss of water or oil. My JTS seems to not use any oil now. Null, zero oil used. I know it's too early to state, but I think I will have to get used to the fact it doesn't need topping up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts