Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Had my pads changed on the front end 2 weeks ago and now occasionaly at 50mph I get a really loud thruming noise this comes and goes but deffinatley dissapears when you toush the brakes, I jacked the car up today and both front wheels are not very free wheeling.
the question is..
Did the garage forget to do something when they did the pads? evey thing was fine before I had them done! Is it becauuse they didn't clean the exposed piston before pushing it back in thereby knackering the seals?
Is it thier fault should I Get them to cover the cost of sorting it or is it just one of them things?
Its a 1997 2.0 16v super with sport pack callipers.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sounds like the pistons or sliders have seized.

As for fault, it would be difficult to prove I think...........JB?

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it sounds to me like you have worn discs and the pads havent bedded in yet,,might be worth having them done now before the pads bed right in.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the calipers are sticking. The wheel should free-wheel.

When the pads are low, the pistons are more exposed and tend to get dust and corrosion on them. If they weren't cleaned up properly they might not be moving freely.

My money is on the caliper pins though, for the same reason. The bits it's sliding on now are parts of the pins that have not been acted on for a while. Take the pins out and give them a scrub with some emery cloth and a rub-down with Copaslip.

Ralf S.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys,
The disks are fine so that doesn't appear to be the problem, I had another look and the pads are in contact with the disks all the time.
Is it easy to remove the sliders/pins, can you give me a rough guide to pulling the calipers to bits does it involve draining the hydraulic system?
More help much appreciated, the wifes gona go mad if I tell here its going to cost more money eek! eek! :confused:
FGN

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its dead easy, two bolts at the rear of the caliper, 13mm spanner I think. Undo them and the caliper drops off, I then rest it on top of something. The sliders should move freely in and out. Check the piston while you're there, remove the reservoir cap, push the piston back and then VERY carefully push it out using the brake pedal, too much and it will pop out. Clean and re-grease, see if it makes a difference.

wrinx

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yoinks!

Push too much on the pedal and you're into big mess/re-bleed the system. It's mush less risky just to squeeze the caliper with your bare hands while it's on the disk.

The caliper halves should move together when you squeeze (each pin moving the same amount - sometimes one will move more than the other) and they should ease off again when you let them go.

The pins are the 2 bolts with a rubber boot beneath them, on the back of the caliper as you look at it. If you take one out at a time, the other bolt keeps the caliper halves together, though there's no problem if they separate. One half has the piston in it, the other is fixed to the hub.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
i had brakes on front left seizing on slightly after doing clutch it turned out to be just the flexi pipe that feeds them , jack the car up corner by corner try and spin wheel or better still try and make problem happen and then crack the nut on the flexi pipe on the caliper if it stops sticking then bingo, it worked for me . the pipes brake down inside and small peices of tube then act like a one way valve mine too would free off when i touched the pedal only to come back but mine was more noticable at the lights as the car was braking for itself slightly. hope this helps Craig.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts