Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I just recently got my G, late 2012 JTDm 140, and the S&S isn't working.

it doesn't say there is an issue, it doesn't say "unavailable", nothing... so, is there any chance that my G simply doesn't have S&S? The button is there just in case you're wondering :D

Cheers

Mario

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello guys I just recently got my G, late 2012 JTDm 140, and the S&S isn't working.

it doesn't say there is an issue, it doesn't say "unavailable", nothing... so, is there any chance that my G simply doesn't have S&S? The button is there just in case you're wondering :D

Cheers

Mario
If the button is there, your car does have Start & Stop... My first guess could be it may need a new battery, or simply a long drive to charge it up. if you do nothing but short trips all the time the S&S may not kick in.

·
Registered
38,692 Posts
Mine is the same. It only ever works on a warm day and after a long run.

I find it the most one of the most annoying inventions ever and it not working often is a blessing.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't mind it, personally... But sometimes I will turn it off, particularly if i'm in stop & start traffic where I know i'll only be stopping for 5-10 seconds, or on really hot days, because the aircon isn't as effective when the engine's off.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

Cheers

Mario

Most likely the battery - the OEM one is not a good one :).

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
START/STOP OPERATION - version with manual gearbox

The system operates every time the car is started.

Engine stopping mode.
With the vehicle almost at a standstill (speed lower than 3 km/h for more than 0.5 seconds and accelerator pedal released), the engine stops if the following manoeuvres are carried out:
- gearbox in neutral
- clutch pedal released.
The engine stopping is signalled by the dedicated warning light on the instrument panel.
The engine can only be stopped automatically after a speed of about 10 km/h is reached, to prevent the engine from being repeatedly stopped when driving at walking pace.

For comfort, emission control and safety reasons, under certain circumstances the system "locks" the normal operation of the device.

Engine stopping failure conditions.
When the device is active the engine does not stop if:
- engine still cold (signal from the engine temperature sensor lower than about 40°C);
- battery not sufficiently charged (state of charge lower than 75%) or battery charge sensor malfunction detected;
- reduced braking system vacuum, detected by the dedicated sensor, e.g. if the brake pedal is pressed repeatedly;
- particulate filter regeneration in progress (diesel engines with DPF only);
- voltage stabilizer malfunction
- heated rear window activated (assuming that the driver wishes to demist the windows, it is appropriate for the engine to remain running to have hot air and/or air conditioning available)
- windscreen wiper operating at maximum speed for more than 4 seconds (in this condition it is assumed that the weather conditions are adverse and so it is preferable to have maximum driving comfort);
- driver's door not shut;
- driver's seat belt not fastened;
- reverse gear engaged (in this way the driveability during parking manoeuvres is not compromised);
- with automatic climate control system, if an adequate level of thermal comfort has not been reached (difference between the climate control temperature set by the customer and the temperature inside the passenger compartment greater than 4°C) or MAX-DEF activation;
- malfunction of some sensors or systems
- during the first period of use, to initialise the system.
- particularly cold external temperatures, if the corresponding indication is provided.

In the above cases there is an information message in the display and, where provided, the warning light will flash on the instrument panel.

Safety functions

In engine cut-out conditions through the Start&Stop system, if the driver unfastens his/her seat belt and opens the driver's door or the passenger door, the engine can be restarted only by using the key.
The driver is notified of this condition both by a buzzer and through an information message in the display and by the warning light on the instrument panel flashing.
Other conditions "blocking" the device are:
- many unsuccessful automatic start-up attempts, if the maximum number (5) of failed engine automatic start-up attempts is exceeded; this threshold is set to avoid damage to the starter;
- malfunction of some sensors or systems;
- the driver has been prompted to perform an action but did not perform it in time (175 second timeout from the engine stopping); for example if an automatic engine restart attempt is unsuccessful as a result of a failure to press the clutch or because the gearbox is not in neutral and the driver is then requested to allow automatic restart by pressing the clutch or engaging neutral, the engine can only be restarted using the key after 175 seconds have elapsed from the engine stopping;
- engine bonnet open (only where provided).

From Elearn.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the above cases there is an information message in the display and, where provided, the warning light will flash on the instrument panel.
this is where my doubt is because my G tells me nothing...

is there anything that I can do to spot any system malfunction or should I just take it to a main dealer and get it diagnosed?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I had exactly the same issue. Start stop not working with no error message, just nothing happened. Was the battery. Had the same issue on my previous car, mito QV.
New batteries fitted and they both worked again immediately.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
My car never stop started last year at this time of year, but this year, mild winter, it seems to operate every day. Seems to depend on the ambient air temperature and how long the journeys are more than anything else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had exactly the same issue. Start stop not working with no error message, just nothing happened. Was the battery. Had the same issue on my previous car, mito QV.
New batteries fitted and they both worked again immediately.
Same here. Just replaced the original battery (after 55k miles) after being forced by some failed starts in recent cold weather and now start stop is working again.
I could tell when it should have been available as after 15mins or so of driving i would get a message on the dash that "star stop not available. And I measured 12.4V on the battery too.
It appeared that my new battery wasn't a like for like swap either.

System seems very picky on battery health.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mine needed a new sensor of some sort, as well as a battery, it's only 15 months old. SS now working far more often now though.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've fitted a new battery last week also and start stop hasn't kicked in once. Either does nothing or says start stop unavailable.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts