Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a search but can't find the problem I have!!
Potted history..Bought the car at Christmas. Had Selespeed problems. New pump sorted it. A couple of months later, a different selespeed problem that was fixed after a few hours with a multimeter which resulted in me swapping the selespeed pump relay for the air con one. It fixed the selespeed but gave me intermittent Aircon!!
After a brisk scoot the other day, I noticed the gear indicator number flashing in 2nd. I only noticed it once and the selespeed warning lamp never illuminated.
The following day, as I changed into third, the car found neutral. The indicator suggested I was still in 2nd. I managed to coast into a safe place. The car still indicated 2nd when I was stopped. I turned the ignition off and on and the car indicated neutral and wouldn't select any gears. Then the selespeed light came on!
I had to leave the car and get a lift home to use the other car as I was in a rush to be somewhere. I returned to the car the following day and the car started and the selespeed lamp was flashing. I could select 1st, 2nd and reverse but the numbers were flashing. I drove home in 2nd. Twice the selespeed lamp went out and I was able to get 3rd!
I've just been to the car now and it refuses to start. I can select 1st, 2nd and rev stationary.
Alfa Diag has no recorded faults.
The fluid level is OK.
The pump doesn't seem to run when I first opened the door (although I very rarely hear it anyway!)but there must be pressure, otherwise I wouldn't be getting the three gears.
The car is seriously close to getting a Swan Vesta conversion.........
Any help or suggestions will be gladly considered!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've just found my old selespeed pump which I fitted with new brushes so I'll see if the current pump is working. If not, I'll be fitting the old/recon one. I'm still dubious as to if it is the pump as I can still get some gears (I couldnt last time the pump/relay failed) and that wouldnt explain why the car won't start now!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I seem to be answering my own questions here!!
I've just checked the pump and it's OK. I've put 12v to it and it runs and the fluid drops in the reservoir. And the fault is still there. and the car refuses to start (yes, i do have my foot on the brake!)
I've disconnected the battery to see if it needs a bit of a rest. The voltage is 13.8v before anyone asks......

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
Is the car turning over ok? Is the code light going out?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I forgot to say that the engine isn't turning over. It makes no attempt to start. The code light goes out as it should.
The Alfa Diag lists no faults.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I read that thread but mine isn't doing the random change thing. It's not doing much at all now!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the latest on my POS Alfa!!
The pump runs when I open the drivers door.
The box changes through 1st 2nd and reverse using the gear lever.
The car still makes no attempt to turn over/start.
The Gearbox fault light is flashing.
I thought the warning lamp only flashed when there was no fluid pressure? If there is no pressure, how come I can select 1st, 2nd and reverse?
This car is seriously shaking my melons.........
The next step is to climb underneath and put 12v to the starter solenoid to see if that will start it.....and then get back to fault finding the sillyspeed. At least that will either confirm if the two faults are connected. I don't believe in coincedence but check the simple things first!

·
Registered
30 Posts
ok ,i may have your answer as i had that!

under the passenger seat is the fuel shut off valve ,big black box with a push button on top

press it down!

i had exactly the same faults after a car valet company did my car and the hoovered up the button, and i had selespeed failure and car would not start and could select the gears as you can

worth a press

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have just been and fiddled with my button. It hadn't popped up mand the car still won't start!
I may even try a new battery. The one that is on is only 8 months old and my multimeter says it's got plenty of charge but as the battery was only a cheapy £20 one, I'm wondering if it could be the probby. I'm ever the optimist..........

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm about to start to pull things to bits! Anyone suggest where to start??
As a proper trainer spanner twirler, I'm not scared of getting stuck in but as you folks know, the Alfa is far from conventional!
Any past experiences could save me time!
Cheers folks.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I have just been and fiddled with my button. It hadn't popped up mand the car still won't start!
I may even try a new battery. The one that is on is only 8 months old and my multimeter says it's got plenty of charge but as the battery was only a cheapy £20 one, I'm wondering if it could be the probby. I'm ever the optimist..........

Was it the right amperage? I know the manual TS has a 550amp battery. but I think the sillyspeed needs to be 600 or more.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Yeah, I`m no selespeed buff but after reading hundreds of posts the battery is very often the cause of faults - the selespeed seems particularly sensitive to battery issues.

Have you had a recalibration done recently?

·
Registered
25 Posts
My selespeed pump is running all the time even when the door is closed and the keys out of the ignition. I need to disconnect the pump power connector to get it to stop. The robot burps as sele oil is sent back from the relief valve to the header tank. What is the problem? Pressure sensor/switch faulty or ECU??

Also how do you start a new thread on this site, cant seem to find where you do this.... sorry.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've not had a recal as the closest place is two hours away and the car doesn't drive! I've had the car hooked up to two batteries so I'm sure the battery isn't the problem (and the AmpH wouldn't effect the starting until it tried to turn the engine. Which it doesn't!)....

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FIY, your relay is probably sticking. It will be a little red one under a plastic cover in front of the battery. Swap it with the Air con one to see if it fixes the fault.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
fixityourself......there was a guy with exact same problem as yours - I think it was the relays but cant honestly remember.....will have a look later to see if i can find it

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Owelly sounds like you've got a real hard problem to find just hope its a simple electrical gremlin.

Before you put 12v to the starter solenoid, is the gearbox in neutral? - if its stuck in gear and cant select neutral then it wont start.

·
Registered
29,994 Posts
FIY, your relay is probably sticking. It will be a little red one under a plastic cover in front of the battery. Swap it with the Air con one to see if it fixes the fault.
Right location, but it is one of the large black 50A relays.

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts