Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just got back from the local ford dealership where my 20 year old son has just bought his first new car, a Ka Zetec Climate and what a difference from when I bought my Alfa :rolleyes:

Despite the fact he was spending a third of what I spent, the customer service was excellent. He got a very good deal too.

When we went in last week he was looking at the basic model as that was what he could afford, but they had a deal on the Zetec Climate which meant he could buy that for only £25 more! He had a test drived, liked the car so asked them to work out some prices on it. They worked out finance on the spot and wouldn't even offer him a loan as they weren't competitive.

He collected the car today and got a thorough introduction to it, inside and out. He was introduced to the service and dealership manager and will get a courtesy call on Tuesday and courtesy check on it in 3 months. Seven days free insurance so he can sort his own out and to finish a bunch of flowers to say thankyou for choosing to buy a car from Ford!

How different from when I collected mine - I got practically no introduction to the car and the distinct feeling that they wanted me in and out as soon as possible. No further contact from them at all, except on my part when I needed things doing :(

What a difference!

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Good to hear it Lynn. I trust he gave the flowers to his Mum.
;)
I can counter this with the thoroughly depressing experience I had with my Dad ordering a new car at the local BMW dealers. 14 year old salesboy, pushy finance guy and a deeply unpleasant process really. Couldn't really say why, but it just wasn't "enjoyable". I don't think it really boils down to the car make, just the people you are dealing with and unfortunately there are a lot of unpleasant people out there.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that's probably true Rick.

It probably starts at the top of each particular dealership. I have to say that Jane, who sold James his car, was excellent. Infact everyone we came across there was very very good.

A lot of dealerships could learn from them.

(It was Brunel Ford on Winterstoke Road Bristol BTW)

E

·
0 Posts
I bought a new Punto from my local dealer in 2003, and was quite pleased. I went with them for finance as they were doing 0% at the time and it was all sorted out and the car ordered. A few days later they phoned and said they couldn't get that colour for some time, did I want to change my mind which I was glad I did in the end as light blue didn't look so good in the flesh.

Salesman was very helpful, and when the time came to pick the car up I was taken out to find my car tucked away inside under a dust cover and was shown around the car. No flowers though :lol:

That said they are no longer also an Alfa dealer for sales, and quoted me £100 more than another main dealer for the 32k service on my GTA.

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
I believe it's a people thing.

When I bought my GTA from the local Alfa dealer the General Manager, Sales Manager, and Sales Administrator were genuinely enthusiastic, and made the entire process a pleasure. All three became real friends of mine and on subsequent visits when taking my car in for service etc (or just a passing visit) I could dust them down and have an enjoyable chat and a coffee with each of them. :)

However for one reason or another one by one they have moved on to new positions elsewhere, and their replacements just don't have the same enthusiastic buzz. Their conversations are based on flat, uninformed sales pitches aimed entirely on convincing me to trade in my car for a new model :(

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
lynnb said:
I think that's probably true Rick.

(It was Brunel Ford on Winterstoke Road Bristol BTW)
You were lucky thats where I bought my focus RS and how I ended up in an Alfa after they scammed me :cry: still wasn't all bad quite like my Alfas and my Alfa sales experience was superb but I learned how crap the local Bristol delaer simonstone were early on and won't touch with barge pole, shopped elsewhere and got good service much in line with what you mention about Brunel.

·
Registered
378 Posts
to be honest i can say that i had excellent service from my alfa dealership, i always felt like nothing was too much trouble. they even kept my gt inside over night when they had it for the niggles to be fixed (meant it didnt ice up at the time too ) :cool:

i suppose its all down the management in the dealership and the ppl they employ.

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
In my experience, generally, Alfa dealers are crap. Whether this is down to the lack of back up from ARUK and poor part availability is debatable, but Ford, vauxhall and most others do it so much better :(

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think that's right: it's a people thing. I bought my second hand astra at my local dealer in Banbury;and got a great deal. The dealer even gave me a full tank of diesel; and a free set of mats worth 40 quid. When I went in to have the reverse lights sorted out, under their excellent network Q warranty, they noticed that my brake pads were a bit low; and changed all four for free. They just could'nt do enough for me, the coffee was lousy though!

·
Administrator
23,070 Posts
We bought the 147 from our local dealer. It was second hand (8 months old).

When we arrived on the appointed day we walked into the showroom but could not see it anywhere - it was not parked outside. We went through all of the pleasantries, cup of coffee etc and then we turned around and with a flourish the dust cover was whisked off to reveal the immaculately prepared car. We were given a full demonstration of everything.

A little over the top I grant you but at least they went to the trouble.

Paul.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I bought my Alfa from a Ford dealer and have had more enjoyable experiences in A&E, to be honest.

It all depends on the quality of the management and the calibre of staff they employ.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think you can generalise, except for BMW dealers of course. They all fit into one of two camps.

The Duckin' and "Divin' BMW dealer.
Come on, my son, you know you want a beemer, great for pullin' the laydees!

The Has someone trod in somthing? BMW dealer
"Does sir realise how much this vehicle costs? Wait there while I humiliate you a little."

·
Registered
63 Posts
i visited bmw sytner high wycombe,leicester and alfa leicester. I was amazed at how poor the service at both bmw garages were -the first visit in wycombe we wanted to purchase a new m3 convertible and were literally left standing for around an hour! the only time we got service was when we approached the salesman. Next bmw leicester, they have serious attitude problem;we always got the feeling someone was thinking "what on earth are those asians doing in HERE?" hard to explain but an unpleasant feeling non the less. Alfa leicester,which i expected to be poor was actually awesome. I just wanted to enquire on how much the cambelt change would be -but instead the salesman decided to show me in and around the brera/159/147Ti :) We spent an hour talking and i told him off the bat-im not here to buy another car! excellent service :)

Gurj

·
Super Moderator
114,703 Posts
I'm sure Alfa knows what it needs to do with regards to its dealers as per their latest effort to rationalise their affiliated dealers in Europe, and the UK in particular.

Let's hope they get there soon though.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Not sure which is worse - bad service or no service.

Alfa certainly think its no service at the moment by the looks of their dealer strategy.... see map.

Hardly a compelling reason to buy an alfa in the south west at the moment :tut:

·
Registered
336 Posts
When i bought my alfa from bristol the service was quite good, they sorted everything out with the car, new rear sus arm and cat converter and even took my wifes rust bucket fiat with a blown head gasket in part ex for a set of alloys. they didn't budge on the price though.

Problems occured when my salesman went on his hols and no one seemed to know anything about the car, i got 7 days free ins, then the day it started iwas told the car wouldn't be ready for another week! bugger eh.

Then the salesman cam back from his hols sorted it all out and gave me the keys to drive away, sorted i thought. On the way back my drivers control of the pass wndow put the window down but not up and the horn packed up! I told them this and they said they'd sort something out, but never called back. i gave up in the end.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All I can say is the lad who sold me my GT promised I would have one with in 2 weeks, said nothing about it being ordered from Italy, promised all sorts of other stuff too. When I went back to sort out the paperwork, he'd been sacked :eek: And the chap who took over from him just didn't seem interested. The PDI check failed to notice a huge scratch on the rear bumper which went uner the number plate, so how they missed that I don't know!

Anyway, I think I agree with everyone here, it's all about individuals.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I have found the three Alfa dealers I have dealt with to be crap.

Not interested at all.

But I buy cars as part of my job and generally I find most dealers are crap they are just some which are more crap than others.

I include in this Audi,BMW,Vauxhall,Renault,Ford,Peugeot,VW

The only one I have found to be good is Seat/Skoda.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts