Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello agen everyone,

i have another problem with the car and to be honest am getting abit annoyed now!
the tracking isnt right on it and needs doing, went into quick fit today and they said they cant do it because the wheels arent standard. not the cars fault i know!
does anyone know of anyone that can do the tracking with the 17 inch alloys ive got on it in the south east london/Kent area?

anyone at all??

thanks again!

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Waste of time taking it to Kwikfit anyway, as the 916 GTV/Spider needs 4 wheel alignment (I believe they don't offer this at Kwikfit).

Don't know the area you're in but make sure whoever you go to your GTV gets 4 wheel tracking. They need to check/adjust the rear toe first (with the adjusting swivel rods that run from the subframe to the hub on each rear wheel) before they do the fronts last.

If you don't get this done, your GTV will never track correctly.

Do a search on here on this topic, plenty of threads/posts on this issue.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help
i have rung my alfa dealer and apparently i need, a. new tyres wich they cant do unless i know exactly what tyres i need. and b. this is not a service they offer on a saturday???? anyone else had problems? i thought this was pretty rich seen as i stood on the phone to him for about 10 mins with him taking all my details and car details to only be told they cant do anything! thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
thanks for the help
i have rung my alfa dealer and apparently i need, a. new tyres wich they cant do unless i know exactly what tyres i need. and b. this is not a service they offer on a saturday???? anyone else had problems? i thought this was pretty rich seen as i stood on the phone to him for about 10 mins with him taking all my details and car details to only be told they cant do anything! thanks a bunch!
Why do you want the dealer to sort out the tyres???

They'll only take it to a tyre outlet, do the job there, and charge you extra for the convenience (the price of the tyre will be increased to cover their 'costs').

What you do is take your GTV to a tyre outlet yourself and do the job yourself, and save yourself money.

Dealers don't stock tyres, but if you want to pay over the odds, that's up to you.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
thanks for the help
Before you go to the tyre dealer , ring round for the best price, when you have it knock 10 quid off and ring another tyre dealer saying you have been quoted that price, they will say "well we wont be beaten on price sir, we'll match that", works every time, did it last week, one of my rears got a nail just where it couldn't be repaired, first quote was 94 quid i ended up paying 68 :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the reason i sed they cud do is because they sed they cud only do the tracking if it had new tyres...

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
the reason i sed they cud do is because they sed they cud only do the tracking if it had new tyres...
Tread depth or age of tyre has absolutely nothing to do with tracking.

They're taking you for a ride..........at your expense.

Can you name the dealer?

Here's a bit of info for you:

1) Dealers don't have tyre facilities.

2) They don't do MOTs.

3) They generally don't do tracking, or if they do it's 2wheel tracking only, as the correct 4wheel tracking equipment is expensive. Your GTV needs 4wheel tracking.

4) They subcontract most of this work out to the nearest tyre fitting centre.

5) The tyre outfit give the dealer a favourable rate for work by subcontractual agreement.

6) The dealer then loads this rate considerably then pass on the price to you.

7) This price is often significantly more than the price you'd pay direct to a reputable tyre outlet.

8) They're saying that 'Saturday' is no good as often tyre centre are busy with passing trade, or they haven't got the Saturday staff at the dealership to drive down to the tyre outlet.

Just another way to squeeze money out of unsuspecting punters.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Where in South London?
Hi-Q on Raymouth Road SE16 have always tracked my cars, always spot on.
They test drive and recheck after it's had a run, you'll have to book and they're not open saturdays.
020 7237 1366

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeh i thought the dealer was ****ing me, the one in welling! cheers

well thanks everyone for the help, think imma pop to the one in essex!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts