Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes... Me again, having only just done the wheel bearing and having the car driving well - the first time I put the roof down and the clam shell / cover will not lock in place. Either opening or closing ...

So I have a car I can only drive with the roof down, without the cover locked... And I need to drive away in a couple of hours and do 2000 miles in it next week!!

Any help at all in the next couple of hours would be much much appreciated!

P.S. Electric roof...

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
On further investigation I have quickly found the problem and I don't think it will be a cheap fix...
Sorry for stealing Rod Duggan's picture but the part highlighted in red has completely sheared of (on the bolt behind the red circle).
motor.jpg
Do I have any options for a quick method to lock the top open / closed?

Cheers, (one very deflated) Cluffy

·
Registered
953 Posts
Is that whole piece that the cables attach on to completely off the motor? Or is it loose?
It might be that the big white gear inside has lost some teeth, if you open it you can turn the gear 180 degrees

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The whole thing with the two cables attached to has completely sheared off! I don't know if I can buy separate parts... But I think a replacement motor is the way forward?
I managed to get the roof closed using the buttons behind the plastic cover to make the rear screen move down and the pins to find their locating holes. Does the other switch force the hood cover locks??
If anyone knows anywhere / anyone who has a motor, could you get me the contact details?
How much might I need to pay for the part?

Questions questions...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same thing happened to mine a year or so ago, took both parts (part inside the motor and the sheered of part) to a local engineering company they made a new one (£70) fitted and worked a treat.

New motor is £400 plus

Cheers

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the motor out and un bolted the metal arm at the centre by undoing the nut in the red circle (I tried undoing the cable connections on the top left / bottom right but I could not get them undone). SO I not have a piece about 2cm long that has sheared off and the motor.

I'm hoping I can find someone locally who can weld it back together or make me a new one as above...

Off to France on Thursday - I need to fix this!!

The other switch does indeed do the hood cover locking but as that's what the motor's used for they don't work! If it's not done my Thursday then I might as well go to France in the other car!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone know the part number of the motor? I have been trying to find it on EPER but am struggling!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Check out the thread "taking apart the hood motor". Whilst you may well have a sheared bolt it could have been caused by something (cracked cog) in the actual motor. Getting a second hand part could be a cheaper option and replacing just the failed components possibly leaving you with some spare bits. It worked for me for the window regulator - the worn cog in that was the problem.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
A competent welder should be able to weld it back together. You have to dismantle the motor to get at the other half

It's happened to me twice, on two different cars. The 1st time, lucky for me, my son was doing an artistic blacksmith degree and got his tutor to weld it ;) The other I'm still trying to get my son to weld it, but he's too busy :p

If you get it fixed, there is a thread on here that describes how to adjust the motor so it doesn't happen again

Good luck ;)

Rich

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice guys - I will look in to finding that thread...

I got a guy I know (who's done some iron work for me) to weld it together - I fiver well spent I hope! When I got it home, the weld slightly covers part of the square drive which goes through the cable connecting piece so I need to spend some time with a file... Still, supposed to be a nice afternoon and I don't have to work so that's me set up for the afternoon in the garden trying to fix the car!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After a bit of filing on the square drive part, the part connecting the cables fitted over nicely and once tightened up I now have a new working hood...! I've ordered a replacement part from Alfaworkshop just in case the weld gives up at any point but that's money well spent for piece of mind I can fix it again should that happen. I'll be taking that part plus a couple of tools with me to France so I can fix it if necessary too!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Roof Motor Not Working

Morning All,

My roof was becoming dodgy, needing the standard bump with a hammer to get the motor to turn, allowing the clam shell to raise. However, it seems now it has completely given up. I have the motor out and have taken the back off... I was expecting to find a cracked cog, but to my surprise it's absolutely fine (see below)...
View attachment 384042 View attachment 384050
Anyone have any suggestions as to what I should try / check as it must be the motor causing the problem... I suppose I could clean out and put fresh grease in, but other ideas??

Thanks in advance,
Cluffy

·
Registered
335 Posts
As you have the motor out try putting 12v on the leads and see if it spins. If it doesn't then it's probably worn/dirty brushes in the motor. If it does spin the fault may be the relays feeding the motor, they reverse the supply for up/down modes. The relays (two brown ones) are on a bracket inside the boot near where the CD changer is fitted only towards the centre.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I have taken the motor apart and found what could possibly be the problem. One of the two contacts seems to be loose... See below - could this be the issue....? I'll try with the 12V from a cigarette lighter once it's back together...
View attachment 388113 View attachment 388121

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They both spring in / out, just the one (top one in the pics) doesn't stay in the 'slot' and is / can hang out when at full travel of the spring. Neither are stuck...

·
Registered
8,916 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Looks from the photo that on the bottom brush the carbon has worn down level to the metal holder on top of it,its not taken the lines of 'brass'? off the rotor has it ?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looks from the photo that on the bottom brush the carbon has worn down level to the metal holder on top of it,its not taken the lines of 'brass'? off the rotor has it ?
Sorry - what part are you referring to with respect to 'rotor'? I will try and get some more detailed pictures this evening as I have it in pieces. I will investigate if it's the plastic ring assembly that is damaged or the bush itself. Are you saying there should be an obvious divide / line on the bush where a different metal is used?

Thanks in advance and sorry for not being 100% on the terms etc - you don't learn unless you ask!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts