Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just received my newsletter from Shell and it prompted me, out of interest, to check which oil they recommend for the Giulietta 1.4MA
Shell LubeMatch
I then checked the spec for the Helix Ultra AG 5W-30 which would appear NOT to meet ACEA C3 only ACEA A3/B3/B4
Shell Helix Ultra - United Kingdom

Is this attempt to confuse customers something that should be reported to AR? If so who should I contact?

R

·
0 Posts
I don't want to be classed as some sort of snob but I always use the Selenia reccomended oils. I know every manufacturer makes an equivalent product but I prefer to fit what the factory fits!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Having looked at a few sites I can't find a shell oil that fits the spec for SEA 5-40 C3 and Fiat 9.55535.S2.
I think you will find an e-mail contact at the bottom of the shell web site. Claim for a new engine they may take notice. :confused:

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just rechecked the Giulietta Handbook and discovered it is worse than I thought. AR say it must be SAE 5W-40 ACEA Grade C3. Shell's suggested oil is 5W-30

Nevertheless neither the Shell Ultra 5W-40 or 5W-30 meet ACEA Grade C3 so it would seem there is NOT a Shell oil that could be used for top up so I will have to locate a supply of Selena which is unlikely to be a local motor factor (internet here I come).

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
If I had a multiair I wouldnt use 5w30 if it stated 5w40...

How about contacting Shell to point our their error...?

·
Registered
192 Posts

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Checking back on service costs for another thread I realised that when Piccadilly used the wrong oil last year and had to change it for Selena this was the oil they had used. If I remember correctly they had discussions with Shell at the time (June 2012). Still the Shell website gets it wrong twelve months later:tut:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well - I had a reply from Shell
The gist of it is that they now have a better product Helix Ultra AT-L 5w-40 which meets ACEA C3 and Fiat 9.55535.s2. This was introduce in UK May 2013! and they will up date the Lubematch site.
I haven't found it on their website.
In a web search I found a document in Italian
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_26680_key_140007511160_201302151649.pdf
I don't expect to find it in the shops any time soon.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Agreed but the petrol 1.4 MA requires 5W-40 ACEA C3 and Shell only do the Helix Ultra Extra in 5W-30

The point is also that their Lubematch page gives 5W-30 for the Multiair rather than the specified 5W-40
The SAE J300 grade system can be quite misleading. On face value 5w30 and 5w40 appear quite different and they can be, however they could also be almost identical too. In fact it is possible that 2 different brands of 5w40 could be "more different" to each other than one of them could be to a 5w30. That is the limitation of the system. What is more important is the specification they meet like ACEA C3 or even better a manufacturers specification like VW507 or MB 229.5 etc. If the oil meets the required manufacturers specification the viscosity is irrelevant.

As Shell Helix Ultra Extra is C3 rated it meets the same minimum requirements (Chemical composition and a minimum HTHS viscosity) as any 5w40 C3 is also expected to meet. In practice these 2 viscosity grades could work identically in your engine. Unless you are comparing 2 exact products, not just their viscosity grade you don't know how they are really going to work. So IMO if Shell recommends a product you can be sure it will work perfectly for the application.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
..they now have a better product Helix Ultra AT-L 5w-40 which meets ACEA C3 and Fiat 9.55535.s2. This was introduce in UK May 2013! and they will up date the Lubematch site.
Anybody got his hands on it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts