Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya, I am currently driving a Mk3 Golf GTi and I am considering a 156 or maybe even a 166...

My main worry is the reliability question, I am reading as much as I can about them before I take the plunge so any help would be appreciated. I am looking at the 2.0TS in the 156, the 166 appeals because its a bit bigger (growing family) and very cheap for the kit on board.

A few things I have read have said the 2.0TS is the best compromise option, is that correct? Apparently the v6 has to be kept buzzing to keep it up in the power band.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance... :D

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Hello there Mowgli, welcome to Alfaowner! :)

This time I wont ask for pics... only when you get that Alfa! ;)

Well, the 2.0TS is a great engine but you can't really compare it with the 2.5v6. That's another stage. The v6 has more torque, more power, and you don't need to keep it high to see some results... ;)

Anyway, you'll be very happy with any of the 2. :)

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Hey there mowgli, don't be afraid to get an Alfa, once you've driven it your mind will be made up! :cool:

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mowgli said:
Hiya, I am currently driving a Mk3 Golf GTi and I am considering a 156 or maybe even a 166...

My main worry is the reliability question...
Have you not heard about VW's legendary non-reliability these days :eek: :D

Anyway, welcome to the forum...yes the 2.0 is supposed to be the best all rounder (not so front heavy but still needs to be revved) but you can't beat the V6 gurgle and soundtrack :D Go drive a few and see what you think....but be warned, you may not turn back after...

If you try a search or read a few old posts the common problems are obvious...bushes and AFM's (VW/Audi know all about these too!) and lambda seem to be the main problems.

In common with many members on here...our Alfas have been (major) trouble free and stand up with most other manufacturers these days...even beating a few along the way ;)

wrinx

·
Registered
266 Posts
my girlfriend had a golf gti but much prefers the 156 2.0.. if i was you id go for the sportwagon..i actually think its a nicer looking car than the saloon but thats just my preference..im also new to the site, everybody is friendly and helpful..cheers

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
toffeemandog said:
..im also new to the site, everybody is friendly and helpful..cheers
Yeah, that's because we eat the new commers once we've feed them fat :D :D

Welcome Mowgli :D

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Pasi said:
Yeah, that's because we eat the new commers once we've feed them fat :D :D
Thanks a lot Pasi. :rolleyes: Now he's probably going to run away! :D ;)

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Did I say it out loud :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now our secret plan has been revealed.... oh well... :eek: ;)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Now, go get more newbies... ;)

·
Registered
12,386 Posts
Yes sir... ;)

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
:D ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the welcomes and the guidance everybody, not looking forward to being eaten but I shall be sticking around nonetheless. :lol:

I might have to have a little look at the 2.5's, I have driven a 2.0 a while ago and I was well impressed with it.

I shall keep you up to date.

Thanks again :D

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Well, the 2.0 has to be revved hard to really perform, the v6 have more grunt, but not that impressive. You really have to trash it too to free those extra 40 horsepowers. The V6 is also heavier so the twinny is the more balanced option. Having said that, I'm willing to sacrifice it for the best sounding engine this side of a Ferrari.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts