Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, been reading this forum for a while and enjoying all the messages, technical and otherwise. I say new Sprint owner but like others on here I'm returning to Alfa Romeo having owned one in the late 80's. A white chrome bumpered veloce, which sadly rusted away.

Today I collected my red 1983 1.5 Green Cloverleaf :D . I am looking forward to the restoration challenges ahead and know I will be visiting this forum often !

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ! Took pics between showers today with one here to give you an idea. I think the camera does lie a little as some previous restoration work is more apparent than seen here. Car has had some filler/repainting in the usual places but underneath is sound with what seems like an original interior (including the bright green carpets). Engine also sounds ok with no obvious smoking. Feeling quite pleased as cold starting has improved since I connected the LH carb to the choke cable (clamp loose previously). Next job is an oil change followed by investigation of a blowing exhaust manifold. Easy stuff first !

Attachments

M

·
0 Posts
Hello and welcome to AO Mark:) Great looking Sprint, how many miles has it done? I'm in the process of restoring mine. Good luck with her:thumbs:

If you need any advise, post in the 33/Sud/Sprint lounge the guys know there stuff. Also Welcome to Justsuds and Steve Parry (Mr Sud) 0191 456 1511 are worth a try if you need anything like parts or advise:thumbs:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Hi there and welcome! :thumbs:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, feels good to be part of the club.

Mark 147, speedo currently says 7215 (I wish !) so probably going to have to add 100K to that as have no old MOT's to go on. Changed oil/filter yesterday and now seems much happier (settled for Magnatec oil after reading others thoughts on here).

Thanks for the tips. Filter came next day from Justsuds as previous owner recommended them as well.

What Sprint do you have ?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Those Cars are a joy to drive and own but rust is the biggest problem. Owned one for years and loved every second.

Just quick tips, if you look under the rear wheel arch, there are drainage plugs that collect rain water through a hose very similar to garden hoses and spits it out from the bottom. Usually gets clogged with crap and u end up with water in the window channels. make sure you clear them out from time to time otherwise your rear inner arches just disappear!

Usual sills and rust spots to watch out for under front inner wings and under back bumper.

A nice mod is to get rid of the air box and add trumpets to the webber carbs. It will sound amazing ;-) To get an idea run it without the airbox

Mossawi

Enjoy and welcome :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mossawi. The drain plug is ok drivers side but looks blocked passenger side so need to fix asap. I did look behind both internal panels and did not see any signs of serious rot so am hoping I have got to this in time. Looking forward to spending more time on it this weekend !

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi and welcome
nice motor...mate of mine had had a sprint veloce in black years ago ...I luv'd it.....one day i might trade in me TR7 ...lol :rolleyes:

good luck with her...:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts